Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finalizing everything in my swap and I am wondering if anyone can thing of a problem(other than failure) of leaving the existing electric, frame mounted, pump inline before the lift pump. This is the lift pump from the original engine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was thinking of running an electric rotary vane pump very close to the tank to a big diesel water seperator/ filter. I figured it would help on startup by not having the engine mounted lift pump pulling so far. This would of course be the weak link to the fuel system IMOP. I have had the rotary vane pumps die. They also push an incredible volume. I would run the engine return to the big water seperator/ filter abd a big return back to the tank. In my fuel injected 302 setup, which is where i have run a setup like this, it supposedly keeps fuel temps low by moving it through steel lines on the frame. It all sounds good except when the pump breaks. You could add a valve to bypass the pump if it died but then the whole system is really elaborate (read pain in the a$$ to fix or maintain). Also Rotary vane pumps can be LOUD. When I get there I'll post results. Caution, this could take a year!

·
Registered
854 Posts
I have been contemplating adding one of the inexpensive "clicker" oscillating electric pumps. They are pretty much bullet proof. I hate the noise from vane pumps, and they pump way more fuel than needed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts