Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lift pump is leaking a stream of black oil down the side of the block from the bottom of the housing, I installed a new gasket and it's still leaking. I'm starting to think that it's not leaking from the gasket, but that the pump has failed internally.

If I need a new pump are there any new style upgrades or should I install the same kind that's already there.

Any part #'s ?

Thanks

·
Registered
335 Posts
Not sure if you would be interested, but the manual pump I took off my motor seems to be in great shape, and if you pay shipping its yours..... ;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the piston style pump a better design? It also looks a little different where the mechanical arm goes in the block.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I am not sure but I think it is more reliable , the dodge guys do it, I have seen an article with pics. Might have seen it mentioned on this forum also. My 4bt has a piston pump (as standard) but it feeds an inline I/P so as long as pressure is OK. Do a little more research but I think its a better pump just make sure you get the right one. Probably a better bet for more viscous fuels.

Gaza

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the good info... I decided to buy the ebay one for simplicity purposes, hopefully it will last..I should probably think about installing a fuel pressure gauge after everything I've read on the cummins forum about lift pump failure taking out the injection pump.. A $100 part is better than a $1000 part!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts