Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm changing the gear ratio in my '67 Chevy C20 pickup and was wondering if I should go ahead and put an lsd in while I'm at it?

It's a dana 60 and the last time it rained I kept spinning one wheel at stops and turns. Not a heavy right foot, just tall skinny tires and an empty bed.

Anyway, I've never had a truck with one so I thought I'd ask for opinions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
322 Posts
If you have to buy it new it probably wouldn't be worth it unless you go off road and or have the coin. If you can scrounge one up on cl for a deal then absolutely worth it. Here in the Midwest salt belt thousands of used ones. I was in Sacramento last month and was surprised to see the lack of parts I am accustomed to seeing here.
I on the other hand do have a lead foot. .

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
There are lots of kinds of lockers, some are less expensive, called 'lunch box lockers' , depends a lot on how much one goes off road, too.

Ed

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I plan on very little off road.

I have a chance to get a Power Lok, which was the factory option for these trucks for $250, which seems like a pretty good deal...

·
Registered
362 Posts
A locker in a rear axle would prove not to have good manners. A limited slip differential, oth, is a beneficial thing to have. Probably worth the 250. When driving in snow or rain, keep in mind that if you break traction, you have broken traction on the wheel with the most traction and that can land you in a ditch quickly. (Ask me how I know lol) but at least the LSD will help get you out

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
250 Posts
put it in. i have gone from open diff to hydrtrac .where i used to get stuck on wet grass i can now stop and start off . this is in a ford falcon ute

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I wouldn't want a truck without it.
I second that....but being able to steer with the throttle is a requirement to me in a vehicle,me and the Wife's Camry don't get along well at all all of my driving reflexes get the wrong results in a front wheel drive:nuke:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Excellent! Good info, thanks guys, I went ahead and bought the lsd.

Now to put it in...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is a pic. I just bolted my new 4.10 ring gear to it and am about to press on a new bearing.

SDC10429.jpg

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Here is a pic. I just bolted my new 4.10 ring gear to it and am about to press on a new bearing.

View attachment 86066
Hope that it isn't a Type 3 with a 4.10 gear! For a 4.10 gear you either need a thick cut ring gear with a Type 3, or a Type 4 carrier.

Have you checked the clutches? If I read right you were looking to buy used. Power-lok is a good limited slip but, the clutches are wear items. Also depending on how you install the clutches and plates it will change the starting bias of the limited slip.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts