Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I´m building a 95´Chevy pick-up with 5.9 cummins and 47re from 99´ Dodge. I got it running and took my first drive with it. It seemed to work fine, but it seems to be in limp mode. Engine has no power and it´s stuck on 1st gear.
I pulled these codes from pcm:
-P1689 No communication between ECM and injection pump
-P1693 DTC detected at companion module
-P0463 Fuel level sender volts high (know this one, got bad sensor)
-1687 No MIC bus message (don´t have dodge gauges)
-1899 P/N switch stuck in park or gear (In park my neutral switch does not align with the lever inside tranny)
So are there some codes that can cause the limp mode and where should i go from here and most of all how do i get it off the limp mode.
Any help would be a appreciated.

BTW: I don have dodge´s speed sensor since I don´t have dodge rear end or dodge ABS, can this be part of the broblem and how have you solved this broblem. Dodge shop manual says that speed sensor does not effect fuel pump control.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Dont know if this will put ya in limp mode but i dont know how it would run at all if there is no communications

companion code.....means nuttin really

If by chance not being hooked up would cause the speedo to peg out or over 115 mph than that will throw you into limp or defuel the truck....but I would guess not being hooked up would be a fail safe mode and the speedo signal would be zero

-1899 P/N switch stuck in park or gear (In park my neutral switch does not align with the lever inside tranny)
not sure here but get that fixed to see if it helps

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dont know if this will put ya in limp mode but i dont know how it would run at all if there is no communications

companion code.....means nuttin really

If by chance not being hooked up would cause the speedo to peg out or over 115 mph than that will throw you into limp or defuel the truck....but I would guess not being hooked up would be a fail safe mode and the speedo signal would be zero

not sure here but get that fixed to see if it helps
Allmost what i was thinking. I will fix the neutral switch, but MIC bus message is nothing i can do, besize nobody uses Dodge gauges it can not be that. And the pump code, exactly, it shouldn´t run at all. Thats why i´m confused?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I think the 1698 code is the one troubling you...............pull the big connector from the VP-44 and give it a shot of dialectric grease and recouple it

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the 1698 code is the one troubling you...............pull the big connector from the VP-44 and give it a shot of dialectric grease and recouple it
I´ll do that, will let you know what happens. Any chance the speed sensor is causing this?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I dont think its gonna help but its worth a try...........I dont understand with no no communication tween the ECM and the VP how it works at all..........but yaknow stranger stuff has happened

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I cleaned both connectors (pump and ECM) and measured the wires there is nothing wrong unless its in pump side of the connector. And it´s weird how i get the code, when i start the engine it dont give a code not even if i rev it, but when i drive it it gives code P1689.
And i talked to a friend of mine who is car electrician and he said that broblem at engine won´t cause my tranny not to shift. So I have no idea why my tranny won´t shift, I have no fault codes about tranny.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I checked other forums about code P1689 and had lot of differend, well questions, no one had answer what causes it, some had bad VP, other had bad edge box. But most cases truck had died or had misfire or other symptoms, mine has non but maybe low power, but isnt that because code is on ( it´s in limp mode ).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont have "limp mode", I have some broblem with governor solenoid in the tranny, dont know what yet. Just wondering why it does´nt set a code.
did´nt get pump code this time??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts