Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am thinking this does not exist, but I thought I would ask. In order to make my project a little less complicated, I am looking for a Dodge Flywheel Housing With attached motor mounts, like the one pictured below. The housing need to be compatible with a Dodge 15-3/8" flywheel w/152 teeth.

What I really need is a 16-1/8"+/- Flywheel for the SAE3 Housing pictured below that will mate with a 12-1/4 or 13" Dodge clutch assembly for a NV4500. The only source I have found is Chad Mc Kinney w/ Quick Draw, but he is not returning my texts or calls; I guess I may have upset him somehow.
I have spent all week speaking with Phoenix Casting & Machining, First Motion Products, Phoenix Friction, and Advanced Adaptors, too no Avail. Case Tractor is of no help without a ESN & VIN from the backhoe; which I do not have. And even if I did I am not sure a Case flywheel could be re-tooled for a Dodge clutch assembly.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I suppose I could enlarge the pinion gear on the starter, But that will not allow me use of the Barring Tool in order to rotate the engine and find top dead center

·
Registered
143 Posts
I suppose I could enlarge the pinion gear on the starter, But that will not allow me use of the Barring Tool in order to rotate the engine and find top dead center
I have a few new SAE 3 Cummins housings available w/hub and flexplate.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Why not use the yellow one(SAE) and a factory adapter. What is your bearing retainer diameter? Are these why kind of device you are looking for?

Ed in CO.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I am thinking this does not exist, but I thought I would ask. In order to make my project a little less complicated, I am looking for a Dodge Flywheel Housing With attached motor mounts, like the one pictured below. The housing need to be compatible with a Dodge 15-3/8" flywheel w/152 teeth. I am having a terrible time trying to find a 16-1/8" Flywheel for the Housing pictured below that will mate with a 12-1/4 or 13" Dodge clutch assembly for a NV4500. The only source I have found is Chad Mc Kinney w/ Quick Draw, but he is not returning my texts or calls; I guess I may have upset him somehow.
I have spent all week speaking with Phoenix Casting & Machining, First Motion Products, Phoenix Friction, and Advanced Adaptors, too no Avail. Case Tractor is of no help without a ESN & VIN from the backhoe; which I do not have. And even if I did I am not sure a Case flywheel could be re-tooled for a Dodge clutch assembly.
Could you please, tell us what "the point is"? You want to mount a NV4500 to a Cummins BT but not use a transmission cross member? Or, what?

Roy

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could you please, tell us what "the point is"? You want to mount a NV4500 to a Cummins BT but not use a transmission cross member? Or, what?

Roy
I am not able to place motor mount on the sides of the 4BT do to restrictions.... power steering, starter placement, Oil filter, shocks; there is just not a lot of room and placing mounts infront & under the crank shaft & on the flywheel housing frees up a lot of space

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Why not use the yellow one(SAE) and a factory adapter. What is your bearing retainer diameter? Are these why kind of device you are looking for?

Ed in CO. View attachment 127757 View attachment 127758
The Dodge flywheel bearing Measures ID=.737" OD= 1.722" Depth= .516"
ED, I can't locate an adapter; the only place I can find one isn't re turning calls wright now. The picture your showing looks to be a SAE 3 bellhousing and I have all that. It's the flywheel I am having trouble locating. It appears that I have two choices: Machine a custom flywheel, or weld mounts on the dodge oem F/W Housing

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Karl,
I run a SAE3 , ex F600 Ford but came with an Allison. Scored a SAE2 flywheel and had it turned down to take the 159 tooth ring gear to match the flex plate set up. The ring gears are easily found. The Ford housing has a 4 bolt pad either side to take rear mounts. Can dig out pic's if interested.
The flywheel I scored had a dual pattern drilled to suit various clutch covers, lost the larger one turning down but the other suit suited the 330mm (12.9) clutch form an International truck. Takes a little work to hunt through here but you should be able to find something to suit clutch wise.
Cummins 3901774 ring gear, 159 tooth suits SAE3
Cheers Steve

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I saw the Illinois Auto Truck web site last week, but I have not called them yet. I'll give them a try on Monday

·
Registered
11,225 Posts
Are you wanting to use the yellow SAE3 mount in your photo? If so, you must understand that the SAE mounting system on a Cummins is 3 points, not 2. There is a 3rd engine mount at the front of the engine. They came in various styles depending on application. You can't hang all the engine weight on those 2 points at the rear. On that application you need to use an SAE starter, SAE3 Cummins flywheel and clutch, and an SAE3 transmission bellhousing. You will need to make sure the pilot bearing in the flywheel matches the NV4500. May also need to use a Dodge clutch disc. The factory Dodge NV4500 adapter plate is listed as SAE3. It came with a 12-1/4" clutch disc. There is an aftermarket 13" disc for the stock 1-1/4" input shaft or you can upgrade the transmission to 1-3/8" and use the 13" clutch disc from the NV5600. On the bellhousing, the Quick Draw brand is probably the best bet. There was a factory NV4500 SAE3 unit but it isn't common. Below are some photos of the front engine mounts.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Charles, I have all of those components. the Dodge flywheel (which measures 15-3/8" w/152teeth & listed as SAE3) does not fit the SAE3 housing, it is 3/8" short of the starter pinion gear. The flywheel that I'm looking for needs to measure 16-1/4. and allow me to bolt up a Dodge 13" clutch assembly. I could change the pinion gear on the starter, but that wont allow me to use the "Barring" tool and rotate the motor. I have tried several times to talk to Quick Draw but he is not returning my calls. I did speak with Bill at Phoenix Casting & Machining and he has something that might work but it will add 1" to the thickness of the flywheel assembly, I am not sure how that affects the clutch & related linkage. Blackduck in post #10 had the idea of using a SAE2 flywheel and turning it down and putting a new ring gear on it.

·
Registered
11,225 Posts
You cannot use the Dodge flywheel with an industrial SAE3 mount. That flywheel was made specifically for the Dodge Cummins. The standard SAE3 flywheel should be 15.9" or a tad more at the ring gear and have 159 teeth. Check Cummins part 3973746 which is the complete assembly of flywheel 3973747 and ring gear 3901774. Often see is advertised just as 3973747 since that's the number cast into the flywheel. Requires 8 washers part 3900269 and 8 bolts 3901395. Although Cummins spec show 15.9" as the gear OD, the part 3901774 show a measurement of 16.05" and tooth count of 159.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Karl,
I run a SAE3 , ex F600 Ford but came with an Allison. Scored a SAE2 flywheel and had it turned down to take the 159 tooth ring gear to match the flex plate set up. The ring gears are easily found. The Ford housing has a 4 bolt pad either side to take rear mounts. Can dig out pic's if interested.
The flywheel I scored had a dual pattern drilled to suit various clutch covers, lost the larger one turning down but the other suit suited the 330mm (12.9) clutch form an International truck. Takes a little work to hunt through here but you should be able to find something to suit clutch wise.
Cummins 3901774 ring gear, 159 tooth suits SAE3
Cheers Steve
I spoke with the guys at Illinois Auto Truck yesterday and I don't think they are able to help. I do like your idea of machining the SAE2 flywheel to except the 159teeth ring gear, How about the pilot bearing on the SAE2....did you have to change the size?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
You cannot use the Dodge flywheel with an industrial SAE3 mount. That flywheel was made specifically for the Dodge Cummins. The standard SAE3 flywheel should be 15.9" or a tad more at the ring gear and have 159 teeth. Check Cummins part 3973746 which is the complete assembly of flywheel 3973747 and ring gear 3901774. Often see is advertised just as 3973747 since that's the number cast into the flywheel. Requires 8 washers part 3900269 and 8 bolts 3901395. Although Cummins spec show 15.9" as the gear OD, the part 3901774 show a measurement of 16.05" and tooth count of 159.
I called Cummins today and this looks promising, Would you know the bearing designation? Cummins did not have any info except to say 52mm clutch/t. c. ; I am hoping for Designation 1635

·
Registered
11,225 Posts
Can't be absolutely sure on the pilot bearing. It varies on Cummins flywheels. The 1635 you mention is 1.75" OD with .75" bore. 1.75" = 44.45 mm. I've found you another possible flywheel part number. Cummins part 3908569. OD is also 16.04" with a 159 tooth ring gear. This one is bored to accept both the 12" and 13" clutch size. Pilot bearing bore on this one shows to be 2.04" which is 51.816 mm. Not sure about the flywheel 3973746/3973747 I mentioned earlier. Probably the same size but I won't say that without some proof. My industrial catalog shows pilot bores of 31.75 mm which is tiny, 51.973 mm which would be for the 2.04" bearing, and 71.973 mm which is for a bigger bearing. I looked at a Timken catalog for clutch pilot bearings but did not find a 2.04" OD with a .75" ID. All the 2.04" OD showed .984"(25 mm) ID size. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist but wasn't in the Timken list. May have to put a sleeve on the input shaft of the transmission and use the larger ID bearing. The Quick Draw kit that comes with all the parts might prove to be the easiest. That kit has the SAE 3 transmission bellhousing, flywheel, pilot bearing, clutch fork assembly, and bolts. At $1295 it isn't exactly cheap. I know you've had problems getting in touch with them but that can be understandable in the current conditions. The main thing I'd want to know is if his flywheel is the 16.04" diameter. He states it is for the stock Cummins SAE3 housing so it has to be for the starter to engage properly. I just never take anything for granted.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts