Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Registered
593 Posts
what is it that makes folks cringe?
As a member of the wrench-turning knuckle-draggers club, I will say, a lot of guys swapping Diesels into trucks are wrench-turning knuckle-draggers.

I have run into a few threads by the guys getting big power out of electronic-controlled TDIs...man, it's like NASA over there.

As far as home-made transmission adapters...take seriously the precision needed to get alignment of the motor and transmission center lines. There have been guys who made them without the benefit of a vertical mill...but, I have seen few posts by them reporting back after 100k miles.

Roy

· Registered
13,454 Posts
If you wanted to convert one of the rear gear 4bt engines to front train it can be done. Not a cheap process. But it can and has been done. If you wanted it mechanical that too can be done. First you'd need a regular 3.9 crank. That gets your cam gearing up front. Then you'd need a regular camshaft and cam gear. Believe it or not, the block has the bolt holes for a rear crank oil seal just like the regular block. Now to go manual the injection pump will be the P7100 so you need that and its drive gear. There are custom aftermarket gear housings already made for this. Prices vary from around $1500-2200. Then you need new injectors like came in the 24 valve Dodge and of course custom injection lines. Oh, don't forget you need a custom oil pan too. Now that you've spent about $10K or more for the mods you have a 16 valve P pump engine that may have a slight power gain over what the standard 4bt is capable of. Looks pretty under the hood but not sure its worth the effort. When you look at the ISB 3.9 that seems to be pretty common on the market these days, they are usually 170 HP with 420 lb ft of torque. That's more power than a 6bt Dodge had up through 1998. Around that time Dodge had a 215 HP P pump option but others were mostly 160 HP. If you aren't afraid of computers, Cummins has an ISB 4.5 which has 210 HP and 627 lb ft of torque. That creature is a torque monster and could probably tow your house. It started out for trucks and buses in Europe but you can get them now in the USA. It's rated for trucks up to 18 tons. Engine probably costs in the neighborhood of $15,000 more or less. You'd have to ask a Cummins dealer.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
OUCH! Thank you for the reality check. I see Big Bear is offering remaned engines for $7,100. I didn't check if they had any extras like the pump, or accessories. I would doubt it. I see links for tweaking a rotary (VE?) pump. If a person were to do just the "low cost tweaks" to that pump (I.E. spring, cone,& screw down the top screw), do you have any estimate what these would do to the output (5, 10, 20 HP)??? I don't think I will need it given my experience with my last "end-O-lifed" 4bt... I was just wondering if the gain is worth the work and minimal expense.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I just got a guy call me and tell me the 4BT mech. with front gears, bolts up ditterrntly that the same engine as a CR. I thought they were the same on the back end when no rear gears are involved... Anybody know different?

· Registered
13,454 Posts
The standard B series block and the common rail block is different. The location of the crank and cam are the same so you can install B parts in there to make it work. The Dodge common rail engines are still front gear but all other commercial models are rear gear. What doesn't exist is the gear housing to install a mechanical injection pump so that part has been custom made by several aftermarket companies. It was really aimed at the Dodge common rail but it can be used on the 4 cylinder too. On the Dodge you don't have to change the crank, cam, or gears because it's already front geared. Probably cost around $6000 to change one of those over not counting the injection pump. Member Steed changed a rear 4 cylinder over to front but kept it common rail. His looks basically like the ISB in the Dodge. Here's that build so you can see what all he went through just to move the gears from rear to front. Yoings 2.0, ISBe3.9 front gear conversion with F250...

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks for that. I just bought an adapter kit 4 hours away today and went to pick it up. I am now committed to finding a 4BT mech to hook up to my Cummins to 5R110 adapter. There are sooo many scammers on facecrap! And the other sellers seem to have been told their "cores" (even with a hole in the side of the block), are worth a grand or more... Are there any better answers???

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Starting to wonder if Quick Draw Brand is a scamm... I have sent several questions in the last couple weeks on several engine cores listed on eBay, but no replies... And when I have tried to call, the answering message I get tells me to email questions through eBay messaging, ... which is not answered! I'd prefer getting a pull-out over a reman just because I'm a cheap ole' man and want to do some of the repair work myself. Man, it is tough being Irish sometimes.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts