Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an old 68 Diesel Scout with out a motor. I am planning a repower and I'm wondering what everyone thinks about the options. I am considering either a 6bt or a 4bt. It seems the 4bt would be easiest butr would have less horsepower. I am also worried about the shakes and vibration. With a 6bt I am concerned about the weight and my D44 axles. I have been scanning through the site and finding lots of info but I am trying to get an idea of the result before I get commited and start buying parts. I would love to get in contact with the guy that dropped a 6bt in his Scout. I have been trying to make out the pictures but they are small.

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,743 Posts
Follow the link in my signature for infor on my ScoutII repower.
A 6B can be made to fit in a Scout II but it's real tight. The 4B is a perfect fit, lots of room for a AC condensor and a aftercooler too. With a dodge automatic you would could end up with a real short drive shaft, A 4L80E is shorter and would make abetter fit but more expensive. The NV4500 is a easy fit.
4B's vibrate at idle, there's no gettiing around it, but it aint bad at all, I've lived with mine for 6 years and it's not a problem. Once your above idle the vib's go away. I used the 89-93 dodge isolaters on my engine mounts, cheap and effective, drill a couple of hole in them and your set.
The 4B weights the same as the SD33, so the engine weight is not a problem. I would discourage you from putting a 6B in a Scout if vibration is your only concern. The 105 hp 4B's can easily be turned up to 120-130 hp, but be sure to use a aftercooler.
If you'll be using you Scout on the street the D44's will work, but take it 4 wheeling, add a low transfer case ratio and all bets are off.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
was it a diesel conversion? they never offered the diesel in scouts until 76-77.
got any pics? the 4bt is the best for that. the 6bt is way too much for the scout. you'll have to run a d60 just to hold the weight of it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Did I say 68?

I meant 78. Yes it was a SD33T.

As far as trannies go I would probably prefer an automatic like a 47rh but an NV4500 would be fun and cheaper if I started into serious power. I am not sure the limits of power in the Scout as far as weak links, but it seems that the most practical solution would be a 4bt. It would go easy on the tranny and would go in with room to spare without the extra weight. Of course it will never run like a 6BT with a p-pump which could make the Scout a lot of fun to drive in the 400 to 500 HP range.

Oh is there a way to hook up the Scout 4 speed to the Cummins? A mechanic I know said it was the same tranny as the Ford Bread vans he thought is that right? That might be the easiest swap I've heard of if true.

·
Premium Member
2,743 Posts
I meant 78. Yes it was a SD33T.
Oh is there a way to hook up the Scout 4 speed to the Cummins? A mechanic I know said it was the same tranny as the Ford Bread vans he thought is that right? That might be the easiest swap I've heard of if true.
What are building this Scout for? You talk of having tons of HP and using the T18 from the Scout, this is a dumb idea IMHO. First off you will need a overdrive, the Scout Diesel comes with 3.73 gears and a 1.1 final (33"tires) your on the governer at 65 mph. Second with a lot of power the T18 is not going to last. You can keep the 3.73 gears add the NV4500 along with 33" tires and you have perfect geariing, if you drive it on the street. Thats what I run. But D44's will NOT hold up to much power increase, That's why I'm installing a D60/D70 combo in my Scout, even with stock 105 HP.
IF you want it for milage, a stock 4B and a NV4500 will do you good, otherwise be prepared to spend some cash.

·
Registered
79 Posts
.....IF you want it for milage, a stock 4B and a NV4500 will do you good, otherwise be prepared to spend some cash.
Spend some cash? Can you elaborate on that point? I'm puzzled by that statement. The main reason I'm looking to run a 4bt is for mileage. Sorry if this is a hijack, but as they say; "Inquiring minds want to know." :rasta:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd like to go off road,

but nothing too serious. I want to have a vehicle that I can take camping and use in the snow. I am going to paint it and get it looking nice as well as new interior. It will mostly be a daily driver. I think it would be fun in the horsepower arena as well. It is light and I think with some injectors, pump mods, exhaust, and an intake, this could be a very fast truck. I suppose I'll see what I can find too buy and go from there. I'm sure I can find a set of D70's. With an NV4500 it won't be quite what I want but it will do until I can afford a Suncoast type auto.

·
Premium Member
2,743 Posts
Spend some cash? Can you elaborate on that point? I'm puzzled by that statement. The main reason I'm looking to run a 4bt is for mileage. Sorry if this is a hijack, but as they say; "Inquiring minds want to know." :rasta:
I was refering to haveing to upgrade the axles etc to prevent brakeage when haveing "fun"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts