Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 79 bronco that I want to put a diesel into. I have not made up my mind on a 6bt or 4bt yet.
It seems like a 6bt is easier to get and I can get an installation kit and instruction book from fordcummins.com, but that motor weighs alot more and might more easily tear up my axles.

The 4bt will provide all the power I need, and better mileage than the 6bt. The bad thing is it will probably require more custom work and fit up than the 6bt and they seem harder to find.

Either way, I will be getting the swap done, so I want to plan as much ahead of time as possible. If you have completed or almost done with your swap please provide some input.

Is the swap worth it?
What is the performance you are getting and what is your set up?
How much did the total swap cost you?
What was the hardest part of the swap?
What would you differently?
If you have a 4bt please provide the serial number.
Basically if tell me anything you wish you would have known before starting the project.

Thanks to all of you in advance.

My dad bought this bronco when I was five. I had to wash it every saturday before church the next day.
He gave it to me at 15 and I have had it ever since. I drove it every day until 2006. After college gas was almost 4 bucks and I needed a more commuter friendly car. Now that I am almost 30 I want to revive the old bronco and take care of it and restore.
I will add some pics after I reach my 10 post requirement before posting links

Again thanks in advance, I really appreciate it

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm at the same point you are but only considering a 4BT or 4BD1t. I already have a 6BT in my Dodge regularly getting 20 mpg but want better fuel mileage. We have a 83 F15 4x4 that needs a motor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a 79 Bronco, I am just completing a 4BT swap. mostly body work and electrical left. Haven't done any more than drive around the yard. 4Bt fits well under the bronco hood. few things left to iron out but nothing was seriously modified except the trans mount. using a Dodge diesel NV4500 with an Advanced Adapter to the Bronco's tranfer case. Got my engine from a old Chevy bread truck. great thing about the Cummins is block adapter on the back bolt pattern is the same. I still have almost a complete setup up for using a Chevy trans that came with the motor in the garage. I purchase a 6BT adapter from a Dodge dealer and am using a whole Dodge Trans setup right down to the juice clutch. It has been much simpler that I expected. I even modified and used the Bronco frame mounts, and 1 of the chevy motor mounts. I only had to fab a motor mount plate for 1 side!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Griz Sound great. I'm thinking 4BT will be the easiest swap thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts