Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm aaron, just a crazy countrry guy from indiana and I'm new to this forum. I'm planning a build for the next year or two.

I know this is a long post and I'm sorry it's so long. It will be spring before I get my hands on a 6v53t but I have a line on a silver series for about 1500$

My ideas are a deuce chassis with a late 70's ford f250 or f350 with a 250 vin four door body. Built to long haul toys. I plan on building a 40+ foot dry van to pull my toys in.

Engine wise I'm set on the detroit 6v53t.

I have alot of questions about these motors. im a machinist by trade. So naturally I can't leave the inside of it alone. My power goal is around 650 to 750hp.

Head work,
so im wondering about the 4 valve heads. Do you guys know if there would be room to machine glow plugs into them?
Also, on the 4 valve heads do any of you know if there is enough room to machine the heads out to fit either bigger 6v71 or 6v92 valves into the heads?

Liners and ports,
does anyone know of anybody that has played with the intake ports in the liners, like widening them out, or try changing the port timing a little by opening them up or down vertically?

Rotating assembly and block,
Does anyone know how much weight we could remove from the counter weights before the crank becomes vulnerable/weak or other wise useless when it comes to torque? Are the rods and pistons over built, could we shed some decent weight with them with ruining the reliability? The block, does anyone know if the iron block has any sweet spots that could we could give a work out and loose a few lbs in?

So the blower,
I've seen people talk about a bypass blower, but my real question is.
Has anyone ever tried to adapt a 6v71 or 6v92 blower to the 6v53t instead of trying to over clock the stock blowers?

Another question I've always wondered about.

Has anyone every heard or know of anyone at all building a freeon charged intake plumbing, after cooler and inter cooler? Basicly take the a/c system and use the cooling condenser or what ever it's called from in the cab and turn it into a after cooler and vise versa inter cooler? And also has anyone every tried to build a sleeved intake plumbing and taped them for pumping cold water or freeon through them?

It's just an idea I've been playing around with in my head for a year or so.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Might be easier to go with a silver 6v92tt with brown tag N95s, and nitrous oxide, and override the governor.
Watch out for shrapnel .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was actually considering a 6v92tt, theres a guy local her with a fresh rebuilt 6v92tt but from everything I've read the weight difference if pretty dramatic? From everything I've been able to find though, the actual size of the engine isnt that much different? Something like 5 or 6 inches taller and a maybe 5 or 6 longer. I cant remember what that actual measurements are atm. The one thing I want to avoid with the build is changing the height of the body. I've a cousin who is a body man and he said it would cost a pretty penny to add 5 or 6 inches vertically to the body of a steel body truck. Something I was thinking though was a body lift, not sure if I could get away with setting the cab on air bags or not though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You thinking maybe I would be better off swapping out for a big truck axle of some sort or another? I mean I'm not looking to haul 80 or 100k down the road. But I plan on building a toy hauler big enough to fit my cars and hopefully have enough room for either a parts room or bunk house in the front end of it.

·
Registered
10,628 Posts
If you are building on a chassis with the Rockwell axles I wouldn't think engine weight is a factor. Those things are super strong. Only downside is the gear ratio is very low and the upgrade ratio gears are expensive. With a medium duty truck axle you might find a lot of gear ratios to choose from. Transmission choice is going to be a big thing too. With power in the 650-750 HP range you'll need a HD unit of some type. Do you really need that much power? Semi trucks hauling 40 tons probably don't have that much. On the engine weight, If I remember correctly there were aluminum blocks for the 6V53 which takes a bit of weight off the engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No you are actually probably right. I dout I would need that much power.
Even just 400 or 500 would be fine, I'm guessing a 6v at 500hp would be making some where around 1700+ ft lbs? My big thing is I want to be able to haul without lugging but also haul at a decent rpm around 1600-2k. After I get my hand on a motor, I plan on pulling it a part and going threw it, so while I have it on a stand and apart, I might as well squeeze as much as I can out of it and clean up the horrible tolerances.

I'm guessing a guy could make some salty gains just by cleaning up the machine work and making some better flowing headers, turbos, and a bigger blower with decent sized injectors?

As far as the gears for the rockwell's. I make gears for a living. I pretty sure I can talk one of my engineers (ill have to talk to some of the ole boys here at work about it) into throwing the stock Rockwell gears on our CMM machine and back engineer them and then figure up the difference so I can cut some new ones and run them through our heat treat, then throw them on the balancer. Or even build a better designed gear set. We make some of the strongest gear sets out there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So heres another idea, what would you guys think about an 80s gmc bragaider single axle chassis? I think some of them even came factory with detroit 6v's in them? Or hunting down an older single axle mack? I'm not positive on it but The mack if I remember right have basicly built proof axles?Could a guy easily convert them to hydralic brake and change the gearing around a little?

·
Registered
430 Posts
I haul my junk with only 350hp in a Big Cam 350 and a 13 speed with Jake brakes. Hauling is about stopping and control not HP. The whole truck cost me $2500 and I got my commercial license and DOT# so I'm legal. I buy 5th wheel trailers for way less money than bumper pulls or goosenecks and they are much quicker to hook up. For instance I just bought a 27' van trailer with a lift gate and good tires and title for $1000. Hooked up, plugged my trailer cord in and drove away!

·
Registered
630 Posts
why not 6v71?, half way in between the heavy 6v91. lots of mci busses had the silver 6v71 with a turbo on top of the blower. drop some 92 injectors in and raise the boost. I bet ud be surprised how well it moves and it would hold together

·
Registered
27 Posts
A 6v53 wouldn't be good for your 650+goals, and towing. 400hp is a good target, but you will need a good cooling system. You can also get the heads for glow plugs if you want. Tire size, transmission and axle ratios are going to be very important in this build.
I've got a Twin Turbo aluminum 6v53 in an 88 Chevy crew cab dually backed by a 6speed Allison 1000 series transmission 33 inch tires and 3.73 gears. It runs about 2000rpm at 80mph

1 - 13 of 13 Posts