Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting a 4bt into a Scout Traveller. My bread van has a t19 tranny, and the Scout has a t19 tranny. I pulled the Scout tranny yesterday and it appears that they are identical. The Scout tranny has the transfer case bolted up and the bread truck is 2wd. I believe I can pull the Cummins and transmsiion and take the parts from the back of the 4x4 tranny so that I can add the transfer case to the breadvan t19 and make it a 4x4. Then I can mount the tranny and T-case just like they were stock, and not have to cut drivelines, and fab parts. My concern of course is my top speed. The bread van goes 63 top speed and I need more. The Scout gears are 3.73's, and it looks like my speeds in the Scout will be the same as in the bread truck. Of course I could go to a ZF tranny which will cost money and hassle, or I could go to a Ranger overdrive and get my speeds up and have split gears. Or I could just throw in a set of 3.08 gears. I am concerned about odd the line and slipping the clutch to get going with the 3.08 gears. What would you do and why? I need to talk through this.

John

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A few numbers

1) Ratio=3.73
Tires=31 inch
Speed=75

1 to 1 = 3032 RPM's

Overdrive = 2426

2) Ratio = 3.08
Tires 31
Speed = 75

1 to 1= 2504 RPM's

Overdrive=2003

Going to a 33 inch tire looks like it will gain me about 200 RPM's or 2848 with 3.73's or 2352 with 3.08's. Do I keep looking for a Zf tranny? Buy a Ranger overdrive? NV4500? Anything I am missing? Leaving it like it is gives me 61 miles per hour. Ouch!

·
Vendor
2,664 Posts
366 gov spring will run rpms higher and is easy to change with motor out. 30$ PDR

·
Vendor
2,664 Posts
13 sorry

·
Registered
143 Posts
Where are you at in Idaho? I am looking at doing the same swap in my terra. How does the the throw-out bearing shaft and arm compare between the two transmissions? The stock clutch linkage will work? I have 33s and 3.54 gears and I think I will be able to get by without overdrive with the gov spring.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Burley Idaho

I'll trade you for my 3.73's. I am planning a ZF tranny or useing the one in the bread van. If I use the bread van t19 I will bolt up the t-case to the back of it using the parts from the Scout tranny. With 3.54 gears at 75 you will be turning about 2900 rpm's with 31 inch tires. Your mileage won't be good.

Where are you at in Idaho? I am looking at doing the same swap in my terra. How does the the throw-out bearing shaft and arm compare between the two transmissions? The stock clutch linkage will work? I have 33s and 3.54 gears and I think I will be able to get by without overdrive with the gov spring.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Luckily I have 33s and I don't drive 75 with the 345 that's in there. At 60 mph I'll be turning 2162 rpm. I'll probably swap out the rear dana 44 for a narrowed ford 9". I am still looking to aquire an engine.

·
Vendor
2,664 Posts
$16 + $5 ship = $21 to your door.
I got a deal then, I bought 3 for 13 apiece. Hooked them in paralell and can hit 9000r's:D

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More info

I have both trannies sitting next to each other and it appears I will have to actually get into them internally to swap out input shafts to get this to work. I am reconsidering the Ford ZF tranny, but I need a tranfer case that will clock to the passenger side if I wnt to keep my Dana 44's. Anyone out there have an Idea about what tranfer case will clock over to the right side?

·
Registered
143 Posts
You can use a chevy NP205 right side drop case, but you need to crack it open and install a ford NP205 input gear to match the transmission output shaft.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will it bolt up to the bread van t-19?

Speaking of the Chevy NP205. Or what about the early Dodge NP205's.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The dodges are also right side drop, but I don't know if the input gear swap will work or if it will bolt up.

You could also use a left side drop dana 44 front axle from a wagoneer and narrow the tubes to the same width as your scout axle and install swap over all the shafts, knuckles and brakes from you scout axle. That would let you use the ford borg warner or np 205 case without having to mix and match parts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So a 4wd ford T-19 will accept a ford 205? Did any fords come with this combo? What about the ZF5 and the 205, were they offered together? FYI, I'm talking married combos.

I think the ford HPD44/9" axles with a driver drop case would be nice in a scout with the 4BT swap. This should help clear the exhaust as well. What are the best married t-case options with the acceptable 4BT ford trannies?

If there's a good reference out there for ford transfer cases, let me know.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
All 73-97 or so Ford transfercases interchange. To bolt the 205 to the ZF you have to notch the rear flange a bit to clear shift linkage.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts