Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
So a 4wd ford T-19 will accept a ford 205? Did any fords come with this combo? What about the ZF5 and the 205, were they offered together? FYI, I'm talking married combos.

I think the ford HPD44/9" axles with a driver drop case would be nice in a scout with the 4BT swap. This should help clear the exhaust as well. What are the best married t-case options with the acceptable 4BT ford trannies?

If there's a good reference out there for ford transfer cases, let me know.

· Registered
22 Posts
And what logic would you base that on? What sort of application?
simply that the D20 was only offered in a few full size trucks (FSJs are all that I'm aware of).

Actually, after looking at the torque curves for the IH 345 V8 and the 4BT, they aren't all that different. Of course the power band is shifted to slightly lower rpms, but power and torque #s are similar. 4BTA has ~50 more peak ft-lbs, so I suppose the D20 isn't out of the question.

· Registered
22 Posts
Well, any fullsize t-case and transmission from 73-97. The little ranger junk is different. The D20 case is a lot smaller than a 205, but they seam to hold up pretty good. If the M5R2 works behind the 4BT I see no reason why the D20 wouldn't. That said, it's likely a lot cheaper to go ZF and 205 than ZF and D20.
Thanks for the info on the ford tranny/t-case combos.

The arguement in that link was that the 2wd ZF5 was much cheaper (up to $900 delta) than the 4wd version. I've never priced them, so I have no idea. I did find it very interesting that he was able to mount a married transfer case in a psuedo divorced setup that seemed almost legit. I've never seen anything like that.

I agree, if you can source a ZF5 and a ford 205 it should make things easier for the install, but you can't get 3.15 gears for the ford 205.

I'm not building anything here, just thinking out loud and planning my dream project. BTW, this forum is great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.