Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Well, any fullsize t-case and transmission from 73-97. The little ranger junk is different. The D20 case is a lot smaller than a 205, but they seam to hold up pretty good. If the M5R2 works behind the 4BT I see no reason why the D20 wouldn't. That said, it's likely a lot cheaper to go ZF and 205 than ZF and D20.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The dana 20 t-case is suprisingly sturdy and nicely compact. The original Bigfoot ran a dana 20 behind a blown 460 (700-750 hp) and huge tires. It does present unique mounting problems though.
Carl

·
Registered
22 Posts
And what logic would you base that on? What sort of application?
simply that the D20 was only offered in a few full size trucks (FSJs are all that I'm aware of).

Actually, after looking at the torque curves for the IH 345 V8 and the 4BT, they aren't all that different. Of course the power band is shifted to slightly lower rpms, but power and torque #s are similar. 4BTA has ~50 more peak ft-lbs, so I suppose the D20 isn't out of the question.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, any fullsize t-case and transmission from 73-97. The little ranger junk is different. The D20 case is a lot smaller than a 205, but they seam to hold up pretty good. If the M5R2 works behind the 4BT I see no reason why the D20 wouldn't. That said, it's likely a lot cheaper to go ZF and 205 than ZF and D20.
Thanks for the info on the ford tranny/t-case combos.

The arguement in that link was that the 2wd ZF5 was much cheaper (up to $900 delta) than the 4wd version. I've never priced them, so I have no idea. I did find it very interesting that he was able to mount a married transfer case in a psuedo divorced setup that seemed almost legit. I've never seen anything like that.

I agree, if you can source a ZF5 and a ford 205 it should make things easier for the install, but you can't get 3.15 gears for the ford 205.

I'm not building anything here, just thinking out loud and planning my dream project. BTW, this forum is great.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Budget awareness!

I will have to get up some pics but I started to take thing apart to see what I am up against yesterday with the t19s. I am thinking that if I take the bread van t19 and use it I will be in business. But it is going to require some modifications. When I was pulling the tranfer case adaptor off my Scout t19 I noticed that tranny fluid was coming out of the holes where I removed the bolts. The bolt holes are simply bolted and tapped through the tranny case. I think I can remove the shafts, remove the gears, fill the rear bolt holes with a tapered bolt(think pipe thread) cut off the bolt and have the holes filled. Then I can take the Dana 20 adaptor, drill new holes, tap and thread them and bolt on my Scout adaptor. I will then put on the rear out put shap from the IH t19, and I will be in business. Granted this will not be as good a an overdrive tranny, but it will be very inexpensive and work. I hope not to need to cut drivlines and I will save the extra money and keep my eyes out for a used Ranger or a great deal on the parts to make an upgrade to an NV4500, or ZF tranny. The t19 gears look great and it is a very strong tranny as well as cheap. It will be as stronger or stronger than any of the transmissions mentioned. If it doesn't work I will probably go to a full Cummins set up NV4500 and passenger drop NP205, or I will go with a ZF and an axle swap. If it does work I may just use a Ranger. I don't see any downside to the Ranger OD/t19 idea. It should be strong and give me split gears and overdrive.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Some D20 info

I met a guy running huge military axles, hummer rims and 38 inch tires on a Scout yesterday with a Dana 20 case and a Chevy 350. He had wheeled it hard and said that he felt the Dana 20 to be top notch tough. The case isn't worth much otherwise, but it is gear driven and should hold up. I sure like its compact size.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I met a guy running huge military axles, hummer rims and 38 inch tires on a Scout yesterday with a Dana 20 case and a Chevy 350. He had wheeled it hard and said that he felt the Dana 20 to be top notch tough. The case isn't worth much otherwise, but it is gear driven and should hold up. I sure like its compact size.
Was it Forrest?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Yes that was his name

He is a football coach and a DJ and has a red Scout with huge 38 inch tires. It has a Chevy 350, a turbo 400, and a Dana 20. He got into it pretty deep with the sawzall to make it come together. He was saying that he may do a 4bt swap as well into that rig. He had a lot of ideas for my rig and like everyone else he asked why I just don't put in an NV4500. That probably is the best option, but this will be a run around rig more than a freeway vehicle and when I have some cash to burn I will put it in. I figure if I can get the t19 in for nearly free, have 4x4 and be able to go 65 I'm ok for a while. I need the money to get the paint and body work realy nice. I don't suppose I will be running a sawzall and installing 38's anytime, but they looked nice on his rig.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
You should be able to swap the binder mainshaft into the Ford case. I know there are many, many different T-19 ratios out there. The Ford one you have is more than likely the 4.02 first close ratio version. If the binder T19 has a granny the trannies may have a different input tooth count. If they are different, you will likely have to keep all the Ford gears.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.