Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think i posted this in the wrong spot.. have moved it here..

Hi: some old guy here.. green as Grass to the 4bt swap business.. many question.. some answers.. Here is my Sad tale.. between Retirement and the Virus I was going to rebuild a 6.2l diesel for my 85 Chevy 4x4 .. but The " good" motor i had was bad.. one piston shot.. so in a state of euphoria and Ignorance i found a 4bt at an auction near me and bid until i owned it.. bad part was.. I didn't even look at it.. it was an online auction and now... I'm flumoxed... the ID tag was totally removed from the front cover... so i guess step 1 is trying to identify the Motor... what I know: It was built with a lot of british parts ( concentric Water Pump and Hub mount) says GT Britain on the bearings.. it needs rods.. and will get mains too.. under the GT Britain stamp on the rod bearing is a 10 followed by 6 on the main it is "lower" followed by an 86 .. ( guessing it is an 1986 motor or so..) . has a GD stamp then wxl.. bearings are std.... It has a water fed Intercooler on the intake.. it was likely tan in color originally.. now black .. it has serpinine belt fixtures ... the VE pump says: ve4/12F1050... which makes it a industrial motor if i read correctly ... but i haven't found a way to identfy the motor .. or hp... ... Thank you for any assistance.. and I will be back ..please have patience with me.. I'l like info.. but i can be slow on the uptake.. no hints please.. I miss them... I have some good background.. and can fabricate.. and Yes the 700r4 was just rebuilt by a GM certified with 30 years in the business... and I'm not looking to power up.. looking to for fuel mileage and have a putt around old guy truck... Thanks again

someoldguy

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Can you find an engine serial number stamped on the engine block? Maybe one of the morning crew will remember where it is located.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
A couple possible routes to ID the engine. As Russ mentioned, the engine serial number is sometimes stamped on the rear of the block just below the head. This was usually done by Cummins during a rebuild. Missing ID plate is not uncommon. Another option is get all the info off the injection pump ID plate, especially the Bosch part number. Cummins engines have a CPL number. Specific injection pumps were used on specific CPL's. Narrowing down the CPL could help. The water aftercooler was often found on some models. Usually those were between 105 HP and 120 HP. The paint may have been black. Common color for industrial engines.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A couple possible routes to ID the engine. As Russ mentioned, the engine serial number is sometimes stamped on the rear of the block just below the head. This was usually done by Cummins during a rebuild. Missing ID plate is not uncommon. Another option is get all the info off the injection pump ID plate, especially the Bosch part number. Cummins engines have a CPL number. Specific injection pumps were used on specific CPL's. Narrowing down the CPL could help. The water aftercooler was often found on some models. Usually those were between 105 HP and 120 HP. The paint may have been black. Common color for industrial engines.
Thanks i'll see what i can find... The engine came with a plate that covers the vacuum pump hole that was tan in color and it appears there is tan color under the black.. don't know what that tells me...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ve4_pump_id.jpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i 'm still loOking to narrow the year on this.. today the oil pan is mid sump has a p/n of
00 SUWZ
USA
11B 87A

the oil pickup tube 3905223 followed by USA

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
The mid sump oil pan was fairly common on industrial use engines.Same oil capacity as the front/rear sump pan. You'd need to change that for most road application use. You'd need a new pan and oil pickup unit. The front/rear pan is part 3901049 and pan gasket 3931602. The rear pickup which is most commonly used on road applications is part 3905206 and gasket part 3931349. If you happened to have an application where you wanted the sump to the front, that pickup is part 3920795. Narrowing down the year of manufacturer may be difficult without the serial number. Bosch may be able to tell you when the injection pump was built and that might narrow it down. Need to take some lacquer thinner and see it you can clean the rest of that paint off the pump ID tag. Bosch keeps good records like Cummins and might be able to help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts