Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I was wondering if you guyz can help me with this.
I have a Cummins 6bt with a Bosch Ve pump that i am thinking to shoehorn into a 1966 Nissan / Datson Patrol G60. The power produced by the motor is just enough for the application although i would not mind if i could get more, but then i would have to mind the drivetrain, and also i think it would be more reliable if its near stock. It is a !60HP motor and it now has a 3200rpm spring.
What i need the most is the maximum amount of this torque that i can get out right from idle.(i do a lot of crawling 4 wheeling).
One way to do that is the bolt in a heavier flywheel, although it would lessen the already limited response from the engine. Can anybody suggest anything esle????Would a restrictive muffler help?
Also does compound turbos decrease the turbo spool up time or increase it. I plan to use the hx35 as the largr turbo along with a very fast spooling turbo from a 160ci motor(i dont recall the model right now).
Regards,
Bikram

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
1.I would only use the stock hy35 turbo has a 9cm housing which will spool great for off road .The Hx35 will have a 12cm housing .
2. Advance your timing.
3.Turn up the pump .
4.Gearing in axles and trans?

Scott

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont think the Hy35 is available here although by going compounds i am seeking to achieve the same purpose.Of the smaller turbos i have plenty around to play with. I just need to know if it could work. The same boost without a lag is what i need.
The transmission ratio is 7.13:1, with a 2.26:1 at the transfer-case and the finals are 4.1:1.......bounce

·
Registered
696 Posts
Hi,
Also does compound turbos decrease the turbo spool up time or increase it. I plan to use the hx35 as the largr turbo along with a very fast spooling turbo from a 160ci motor(i dont recall the model right now).
Regards,Bikram
Hmmmm, using a HX35 as the larger turbo doesn't seem like a good idea to me. What size exhaust housing do you have on your HX35 now? If the 6BT came from a commercial vehicle then it will probably have a largish exhaust housing as did the VE equipped 1st gen dodges, you may just have to put a 12cm housing on to get the quicker spool you are after along with a few pump tweaks a free flowing air filter will also help spoolup.

Gaza

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
First of all, we need some pictures of this vehicle before we can help you anymore!:D Since its a g60, i'm assuming its a hardtop? can you get soft tops for those over there? i used to wheel a 67 L60, and my friend has two of them now. I'd say you'll have plenty of torque just the way you have the engine set up now. enough to break axles and driveshafts anyhow. how do you plan on bolting that engine to your transmission?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i just bough the patrol fro mthe surplus yard and soft tops are the only ones that are available coz they are used by the Army. Sorry,dont have the pictures right now....

dont think a free flow filter would help coz i am adding a snorkle anyways. And the motor is from a commercial vehicle. The housing is a 16cm one and we dont have the other types here.... But there are a lot of small ones available. What if a smaller wastegated turbo, that on the compressor side has the same boost pressure or more with atleast half the flow, and on the turbine side it is half the port bore of the Hx35 12cm housing. i add a header that adds the 6 cyl and then splits them into 2, and each of these feeds the smaller turbos????

·
Registered
696 Posts
You may well be adding a snorkel but you still need a free flowing air filter, getting air in & out with as
little resistance as possible will help turbo spoolup. It sounds to me you are making things far more complicated than it needs to be and possibly may be worse than it is now, a 12cm exhaust housing will make the engine spool much earlier add a few pump tweaks and problem solved. The 12cm housings may not be locally available but they are available in most other countries so get one shipped.

Gaza

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I'd have to disagree on advancing the timing. All I have read says that timing advance kills some bottom end, but increases midrange and top end.

In the USA HTT Turbo sold a kit called a Stage II. I recently installed one on my 4BT and got a good increase in bottom end torque and low midrange. It is no longer offered for sale by them, so maybe if you contact them they would tell you what Holset part numbers are to do it yourself. As I recall it changed my compressor from 62cm2 with smallish impeller to 56cm2 with larger & more efficient impeller, causing increased boost and quicker spool up. Helped throughout the power range.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A Very nice condition 6bta that would need nothing at all would cost me just under $1000 here, whether its with a A-pump,or a VE-pump, or a P-pump with the intercooler, thats the price here, so shippings a turbo from other countries would just surpass that price. And then the Question comes, Is it really worth all that money.

·
Registered
696 Posts
A Very nice condition 6bta that would need nothing at all would cost me just under $1000 here, whether its with a A-pump,or a VE-pump, or a P-pump with the intercooler, thats the price here, so shippings a turbo from other countries would just surpass that price. And then the Question comes, Is it really worth all that money.
Not the hole turbo just a 2nd hand exhaust housing, I bet they are cheap in the states and with that many 6BT's to chose from are you sure you can't buy one with a P pump and a smaller exhaust housing? even a 14cm would spool quite well. A 6BT in a 2 ton vehicle would virtually idle over anything antway.

Gaza

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol... looks like i got an overkill. The vehicle weighs just less that a ton and a quarter.... :nuke: :nuke:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The original petrol motor weighs 310kgs dry and a 6bt here without a flywheel,starter and the alternator weighs 410kgs for the ve and 419 for the P-pump, both weighed without intercoolers, that is. So iam guessing it'll add another quantle or maybe a half to the wieght.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts