Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I've come across some LPG 6bt's what is involved in converting them to diesel? Pistons, head, cam, timing cover and a pump etc is there a simpler way? Are quite cheap so just thinking about it....
Thanks
James

·
Registered
11,996 Posts
I'm sure it can be done but not sure it would be cost effective. Don't know that we've ever had anyone do one on the forum.

·
Administrator
4,171 Posts
For many years I pondered the thought of converting a B-Series LP engine to run on gasoline. I often wondered if it would be a torque monster running at a low RPM which would give it a long life and great fuel economy but be using a cheaper fuel than diesel.

·
Registered
11,996 Posts
Would be sort of unusual for an LPG engine to have that low CR. LPG has a much higher octane rating than any gasoline including racing fuel. It could easily run 14:1 or higher.

·
Super Moderator
8,848 Posts
Would be sort of unusual for an LPG engine to have that low CR. LPG has a much higher octane rating than any gasoline including racing fuel. It could easily run 14:1 or higher.
Do you know what boost levels they ran?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess 14:1 naturally aspirated... Put a turbo on then comes down as the boost goes up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey everyone,
I've come across some LPG 6bt's what is involved in converting them to diesel? Pistons, head, cam, timing cover and a pump etc is there a simpler way? Are quite cheap so just thinking about it....
Thanks
James
I have a 6bt that ran natural gas which is the same engine, you only need to change the pistons and cylinder head. I'm not sure on the cam but they have the p pump timing cover so you'll just need a pump and pump gear

1 - 8 of 8 Posts