Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would a M5R2 work in a ranger? I was hoping to couple it to an OM617 with a little bit of work(overhaul, compound turbo, fule pump adjustment) and put it in a ranger. i really like manuals so auto isn't an option. But with the work i wanted to do i dont think the ranger 5-speed would hold up..... Any ideas, thoughts, help, tips....?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes the R2 transmission can be used in the Ranger however the shifter position and throw are not ideal for it. Do some searching and look for the guys that run this transmission behind 302 swaps and you will find lots of details. Also it seems the shift tower on the 97-02 R2 found behind the 4.2 V6 engine seems to be favored for the ranger swap since its shifter position sits back a few inches and will be closer to the rangers factory locations. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
452 Posts
You could easily make a shifter. It is bolted to a short shaft at the top of the transmission. The main issue I see is getting it attached to the engine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You can make your own or go to a short shift kit since a few companies still make them. But the shifter location is still going to be closer to the dash then most would like. Mercedes diesel 4x4 offers the adapter plate and fly wheel adapter however it will only fit the SBF transmission not the R1s.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The 4.2l v6 vintage of m5r2 is in the SBF pattern although you need to drill the holes out to 7/16 from 10mm. I have that transmission in an 01 explorer sport Trac and the shifter position is good. Shifter is farther back than on the early m5's.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
The 4.2l v6 vintage of m5r2 is in the SBF pattern although you need to drill the holes out to 7/16 from 10mm. I have that transmission in an 01 explorer sport Trac and the shifter position is good. Shifter is farther back than on the early m5's.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
Exactly. Since the 4.2 has the older SBF bellhousing but has the more favorable shifter position it is probably the best swap if your putting a R2 in a ranger. Other R2s way work but may require more fabrication. Also it is recommended you have the fly wheel and adapter nuetral balanced. Some have said the ford 300 fly wheel is a good option to start with for that reason.

DatsunPainter do you have any pictures of your transmission and engine installed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts