Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a high end machine shop looking to get in to machine adaptors ..I am interested in working from 3d models prefarably sldprt files

·
Registered
25 Posts
I could do the engineering for you, but you're wasting your time. These files don't exist and you'll have to make them. This will require buying at least a core engine to fit everything up, meaning significant money.

I bet you'll have three hours in each one, plus materials. Add in start up expense and a relatively low, irregular sales volume and you're charging exactly what everyone else does already.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I have the machines and knowhow to make the plates too. Not worth the effort unless you have a ton of 1" al plate you can't find a use for.

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
I had a discussion on this same topic with a good friend who is a CNC machinist who writes programming. We came up with basically the same ideas that were used in the past manufacturing processes for being the most economical method. This involves casting and machining as opposed to totally machining the adapter from flat stock. Then you get legally involved with US copyright laws by using the names of Cummins, General Motors, New Process, New Venture and so on. Then after overcoming all theses obstacles you find your same identical item selling for half your price now being manufactured by some factory in China where US patents are not legally enforced.

Bob

·
Registered
219 Posts
adapter plate!

Howdy,

I have a good supply of 1 inch Plus (surplus) aluminum and a DRO on my mill!.
not that I want to put FordCummins out of business:dustin:
nor do I need another project!

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you could build these and sell the Ford units for much less than $800.00 I bet you could sell a bunch of them.

·
Registered
258 Posts
All have made good points, but there is another- liability. Even something as bulletproof as an adapter plate has a liability factor. There will eventually be an idiot who doesn't tighten his bolts enough, causing his tranny to separate and drop out. Who will he go after? You. Better have good insurance, which will require lots of testing and documentation. There is always someone just waiting for another reason to sue, whether you are at fault or not.

Jim

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
If men gave up before they started from the fear of taking responsibility for something they've built not much would get accomplished.

Man builds such things as skyscrapers, giant dams, spaceships, submarines and formula 1 cars. Seams an adapter plate for a cummins engine wouldn't be too much liability in comparison.

·
Registered
500 Posts
How many millions did McDonalds lose when a woman spilled coffee in her lap? An adapter plate is pretty complex compared to a cup of coffee.

Jim
Comparing custom machining to McDonalds coffee. Man, my day is complete now :)

On a side note - if the so called "idiot" did the work do you think it would hold up in court because he didn't tighten the bolts? Probably not. That's like rotating your own tires then Suing GM because you didnt' get the lugs tight & your wheel fell off. It wasn't defective wheel lugs, it was and ID 10 T error

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Comparing custom machining to McDonalds coffee. Man, my day is complete now :)

On a side note - if the so called "idiot" did the work do you think it would hold up in court because he didn't tighten the bolts? Probably not. That's like rotating your own tires then Suing GM because you didnt' get the lugs tight & your wheel fell off. It wasn't defective wheel lugs, it was and ID 10 T error
Very true, but though you win in court, you've still lost your a$$ in legal fees, time lost, etc. just to defend against any such stupid / frivolous lawsuit. And people are filing such suits for the most trivial and asinine things these days.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts