Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done some reading here and some searching around for local engine sources, only to come upon a problem; which 4bt to use. Izuzu or Cummins? :confused:

I guess just a good list of the pros and cons of each of the two would be really helpful. I love to tinker/tweak with things, but as for the motor I want to make that choice once.

Thanks everyone! :grinpimp:

·
Registered
143 Posts
I work at an International/Cummins/Isuzu dealer. The isuzu 4BD1T parts are stupidly expensive. Isuzu wont even provide longblocks any more. The 4BD2T has more support, but I would recommend staying with cummins.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Isuzu makes its own engines, they do not make 4BTs. Cummins makes 4BTs. There are major differences between the two..

·
Super Moderator
8,864 Posts
I've done some reading here and some searching around for local engine sources, only to come upon a problem; which 4bt to use. Izuzu or Cummins? :confused:

I guess just a good list of the pros and cons of each of the two would be really helpful. I love to tinker/tweak with things, but as for the motor I want to make that choice once.

Thanks everyone! :grinpimp:
It's really quite simple.

If you live in a part of the world where the cummins engines are common, buy one of those.
If you live in a part of the world where the isuzu engines are common, buy one of those.

Isuzu still list a marinised 4BD1T as a production engine. I have been able to buy any parts I wanted new in factory boxes.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I apologise for not being very clear before. I tend to be long-winded, and after making a big long post I cut it down to that little tidbit. I guess I left out too much.

Anyway, in the reading I have done here I have come to understand that the Izuzu motor is a bit quieter, smoother and has a little more RPM's than the Cummins. All of which appeal to me. I also had the impression that the Izuzu had a "variation" of the 4bt. I guess that's my biggest error.

As far as availability, I don't think I'll have any trouble finding either engine locally. The Izuzus are everywhere around here, and there's hardly a shortage of step vans. Soon I'll strike out on a saturday and do some "window shopping". ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts