Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a guy that made his 6bt with a VE pump a cable shutdown. He said he removed the solenoid and took out the spring and all the parts and then put the top back on to close up the hole. Then he said there is a lever that can be attached to a cable to shut the pump down manually with a cable. I am doing a Scout and fumbling through hooking the alternator wires from a Ford Van 4Bt set up to my Scout Sd33T setup. Anyone done this before and how did it come out? Any diagrams or tips? I am also considering incorporating the same shut down mech as was originally used in the original Scout which is a pull lever to cut fuel. Basically the Scout runs even with the key off until the lever is pulled.

·
Registered
808 Posts
All my trucks use the fuel solenoid for primary shutdown. Then I have a pull handle with bowden wire cable to the manual Shutdown. I also use a Roda Deaco emergency air shutdown activated with a manual pull handle.

Hooking up a manual pull shutdown makes for quick work in the field if the fuel solenoid fails. Just remove it, pull out the plunger, put it back in and business as usual with the manual fuel shot down. The emergency shut down is just in case the engine has a BAD day LOL

Paul

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,654 Posts
I've been using the emergency fuel shutoff as my primary for 7 years now. I had it hooked up the ingnition switch, but the old wires in the Scout would not support the current/voltage to reliably run the solenoid.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had the same problem in my scout so i used a slave solinoid to activate my shut down solinoid. It was a starter solinoid from auto zone for a lawnmower. Two yearss now and hasn,t faild me yet

·
Registered
89 Posts
I too have pull cable kill on my 1st gen. I didnt like the thought of the plunger magnet failing going down the road and the engine shutting down. The best part is, in the winter I can leave it running while I run into the store or something with the keys in my pocket.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts