Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this may be common knowledge for most. I spent 2 hours reading threads and didn't find the answer.
Do the 4bt and 12 valve Dodge (1995) use the same flywheel, starter ect?
I am getting very interested in a 4bt into my 69 F-250 and I know a guy who has offered me all this stuff he pulled to install the 6 speed into his 95 Dodge. How much, if any, of it can I use to install my small block ZF?
What about an SAE 3 with an old school bus tranny like a 280 Clark or overdrive equivilent? I see lots of 4b/bts with that bell housing for sale.

·
Administrator
4,171 Posts
Do the 4bt and 12 valve Dodge (1995) use the same flywheel, starter ect?
No, different application with different parts.

I am getting very interested in a 4bt into my 69 F-250 and I know a guy who has offered me all this stuff he pulled to install the 6 speed into his 95 Dodge. How much, if any, of it can I use to install my small block ZF?
None of the original Dodge components are compatable with the ZF series transmissions UNLESS you buy one of the aftermarket flywheel housing/engine adapters.

What about an SAE 3 with an old school bus tranny like a 280 Clark or overdrive equivilent? I see lots of 4b/bts with that bell housing for sale.
It will fit provided you use ALL of the components between the back of the bare Cummins engine block to the drive shaft connection on the transmission and all components bolted to the flywheel housing/engine adapter. Same deal when ever using the Dodge or SAE components. You need to keep the "family of parts" together to make it work UNLESS you mix and match aftermarket components that were designed to be mixed and matched.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bob.
It seems like and frito vans anywhere near me with a 4bt are th400. I know finding one with a t19 would be the best bet but we are a little thinly populated here to have a big choice. I really can't afford a lot of new stuff right off and was hoping to find a runner and use my ZF to get the truck built, then maybe do a build up engine after I gain some knowledge.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts