Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting a 4BTA in a '51 ford F-1 Telephone Installers Service Truck (mild truck-rodded 2wd for daily use). Have 2 choices for rear gears. Have '90 Jaguar XJ6 3.83 IRS with outboard disc brakes (Easier to service) or '73 Jaguar XJ12-L 3.12 Posi with Inboard Discs (Sexier) Which to use?

Also have IFS unit from '73 Jag (Big Coils) as front end option opposing a Volare Torsion bar rig. Which will hold up the Cummins best?

I just acquired a 1987 ZF 5S-42 1307-050-004 5-speed OD transmission with the close ratio gears (4.14-0.77) and the Powerstroke 7.3L integral bellhousing. Some folks pull the close-ratio gears from the ZF diesel case and install them in a SB Ford Bellhousing-ed ZF case to bolt behind the Cummins using the SB Ford TX adaptor plate.

I am looking for suggestions for what Flywheel, Clutch, and Starter to use. I intend to use the Diesel ZF Case and build my own Cummins to ZF 7.3_Diesel adaptor plate as I have the CMM, CNC, Solidworks and Surfcam to do so. Would consider cutting more than one if there is any interest . . .

My Dodge 6BTA/ Getrag setup has starter on Driver side. The ZF diesel BHZ has the starter clearance Pod on the Passenger side. Only issue is turbo downpipe clearances there. I think I can handle that.

I lean toward using as heavy a Cummins flywheel as I can find (possibly Dodge) as it was designed to run on the engine. The 4BTA needs all the smoothing out it can get from a heavier flywheel. What is the heaviest Cummins flywheel available? Where would I find it?

Does anyone have any DXF or Parasolid CAD files, dimensions, or other suggestions that would help in my adaptor design quest? [email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I'd think the stock straight axle front with leafs would be the best front suspension for a 750 pound engine. I think the 4BT could blow the jag stuff apart in one trip around the block under a pickup. I'd go 9 inch or semi floater dana 60.

Haven't weighed them, but my bet is the flywheel used for the Ford small block 4BT adapter is a lot heavier than the dodge cummins flywheel.

You can buy the Cummins to Ford diesel plate from destroked. It works right and isn't outrageous.

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
Of the choices you have mentioned I would stay with the original axles and suspension and or with a Dana 60 or 70 rear.
If you want something fancy for the rear how about a 5 link or triangulated 4 link with air bags, still solid axle?

What size truck is this, 1/2, 3/4, 1,...ton and what will it weigh empty?

Check out these pictures, I have done a couple axle swaps on old trucks to get faster gears and disc brakes front and rear. http://community.webshots.com/user/Grigg3

Grigg

·
Registered
667 Posts
I intend to use the Diesel ZF Case and build my own Cummins to ZF 7.3_Diesel adaptor plate as I have the CMM, CNC, Solidworks and Surfcam to do so. Would consider cutting more than one if there is any interest . . .
If you can machine an adpater like this one for le$$, I may be interested.

http://www.destroked.com/parts.shtml

According to Destroked, the adpater uses the Dodge Cummins flywheel/pressureplate/disc.

·
Registered
180 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But, But, But . . .

It is a 1/2 ton F-1 pickup. The frame has been shortened to fit under the Steelweld workbox. It gave a really choppy ride 38 years ago. It will weigh under 3000 wet with NO tool load in the box. It will seldom see a dirt road and never wish for 4WD. It will be a commuter vehicle for a guy who programs CNC machines for a living and likes the economy that comes from using a foot on a clutch pedal. The Jaguar rears are DANA 44's -Limey style. Dana 44 Ring & Pinion fit in either of them.

Isn't the spirit of Street Rodding about having more power, torque, noise, class, and broken stuff than the average tourist? What better than a Jaguar shoed Diesel tooltruck? Corners like it was on rails! :)

JagMold.com - I was GIVEN the Jaguars and only kept the good parts!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you can machine an adpater like this one for le$$, I may be interested.

http://www.destroked.com/parts.shtml

According to Destroked, the adpater uses the Dodge Cummins flywheel/pressureplate/disc.
The second one is just machine time to me, once set up. Just trying to figure out how I want it! Is the spline on the clutch plate for a Dodge the same as on the ZF? How about the fore & aft location and clearances? or must I have a hybrid plate built from a Dodge plate with ZF center spline? No one cares where the starter bolts up, LH or RH side. The Dodge starter is a good one. I have 650k on one. It will puke now that I have bragged on it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The Jaguar rears are DANA 44's -Limey style. Dana 44 Ring & Pinion fit in either of them.
Well, there's what I get for making an ASSumption about the type of axle that one might find under a Jag. Color me sheepish! :emb:

If the owner drives it as described, and the truck really is that light, then a D44 should last you quite a while. But are you sure about the sub-3000 pound finished weight? The 4BTA and the ZF tranny alone have a combined weight of right at 1000 lbs. That's not counting bellhousing, flywheel, clutch and pressure plate, or fluids for motor or tranny. I guess as long as the guy babies it like you've described and it weighs in the 3500-4000 pound range when all finished, it should still be plenty good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What size truck is this, 1/2, 3/4, 1,...ton and what will it weigh empty?

Check out these pictures, I have done a couple axle swaps on old trucks to get faster gears and disc brakes front and rear. http://community.webshots.com/user/Grigg3

Grigg
Great pics ! Love the solid front axle conversion less the 10+ inches. Also loved the hydroboost pics. Gave me some ideas. Thanks. My rig may weigh more than the estimated 3000 as the stuff I am picking IS heavier than I thought.

I do know that a Mustang II style Streetrod truck frontend will not hold up the Cummins. I had to replace the front coil springs on my D-350 with heavier than stock at 50,000 miles cause it got to be a lowrider. A 4BTA is not a 100hp flathead but more like a BB Chevy - But a 4BT is not a 6BT either. Really want an IFS of some kind.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'd find out what kind of IFS setup people use when swapping big blocks into rods. I know that my 4bt weighs about the same and is taller than the 454 that came out of the suburban. If some of those aftermarket front ends can hold up to a built big block then it probably would hold up to a 4bt as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts