Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have the part number for the 4b marine head gasket.

Are they a little thicker? I want to say I remember reading somewhere they would essentially lower the CR by .25-.5? If thats the case ill go that route for more boost capability.

Thanks all

·
Registered
696 Posts
They come in 3 flavours just like the normal ones, std, +10thou, and +20thou they are reputed to be better made than normal ones and because of this I put one on my 6BT which was decked 9 thou and I put a +20 marine gasket on.The only way it will lower the compression ratio is if it is skimmed/decked to 5 thou for instance and it then only needs a +10 thou gasket but a +20 thou gasket is used enstead. I don't know the P/N but I'm sure someone will. I would advise genuine cummins rather than a Felpro equivalent, mind I don't know if they make marine ones.

Gaza

·
Registered
696 Posts
ant reported failures of the felpro?
If used in a stock application I would probably not have mentioned it but tndonor sounds like hes going to BOMB it. If you have had good luck with the Felpro HGs then stick with them by all means if thats what you use. In general I think the cummins OE spares are the best and when it comes to something important I would stick with genuine . Redoing a HG will be no fun and the small saving will soon be forgotten if it goes. JMO

Gaza

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
If used in a stock application I would probably not have mentioned it but tndonor sounds like hes going to BOMB it. If you have had good luck with the Felpro HGs then stick with them by all means if thats what you use. In general I think the cummins OE spares are the best and when it comes to something important I would stick with genuine . Redoing a HG will be no fun and the small saving will soon be forgotten if it goes. JMO

Gaza
yep , tndoner is going to Bomb it ,may be twins !!!!

·
Registered
3,391 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
If you have had good luck with the Felpro HGs then stick with them by all means if thats what you use. In general I think the cummins OE spares are the best
Fel Pro makes a lot of different grades/ levels of quality with different product lines of gaskets, for the same engine. In my experience racing small-block Fords,
some Fel pro head gaskets can handle 300 HP and some 1000 HP. I was wondering what "level" of quality their Cummins gaskets were being made to.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
I have used the Cummins gaskets extensively and I can tell you they are very very high quality, the nicest/highest quality head gaskets I have seen. And stil about $150 retail for the kit.. They have also been redesigned in recent years. That said I don't know if they will overly hold up to higher pressures or not. What I hear is head torquing seems to really make the biggest difference...

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats not bombng one is it?

I figured lowering the CR a bit for the bigger turbo would be a good thing.

I dont know about bomb..... but stage 2 injectors (as soon as I have time to throw them in), bigger turbo, grind my fuel plate down, and advance timing will be done.

Crewcab is pushing me for twins......we'll see. I have to get my house in order before I en start dreaming that one up. Although we did some initial planning/guessing as to what and where.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I figured lowering the CR a bit for the bigger turbo would be a good thing.

I dont know about bomb..... but stage 2 injectors (as soon as I have time to throw them in), bigger turbo, grind my fuel plate down, and advance timing will be done.

Crewcab is pushing me for twins......we'll see. I have to get my house in order before I en start dreaming that one up. Although we did some initial planning/guessing as to what and where.
LOL ,
If I have anything to say about it he will have twins , I have been trying to get him to hook up truck to truck * I think his worried the M1008 high Hp 6.2 will pull him around. :D :D :D .

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Anyone have the part number for the 4b marine head gasket.

Are they a little thicker? I want to say I remember reading somewhere they would essentially lower the CR by .25-.5? If thats the case ill go that route for more boost capability.

Thanks all

Note this was Cummins mid state
* Quote *

The head gasket on a marine 4bta 3.9 CPL 2197 250 hp is the same as the onroad 4bt 3.9 ,same material .The thickness .010 .015 .020 is also the same.

Scott

·
Registered
696 Posts
Note this was Cummins mid state
* Quote *

The head gasket on a marine 4bta 3.9 CPL 2197 250 hp is the same as the onroad 4bt 3.9 ,same material .The thickness .010 .015 .020 is also the same.

Scott
Strange they use different P/Ns then or atleast they do on a 6BT.

Gaza

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Strange they use different P/Ns then or atleast they do on a 6BT.

Gaza
$ometime$ the difference$ are $ubtle...

Had cause to replace the timing cover on a 2.5 in a marine application once. Marine version, red in color, was $50. Automotive application (same material, same thickness, etc.), black in color, was $19.95.

Don't know if this applies on this particular part, though..

·
Registered
696 Posts
$ometime$ the difference$ are $ubtle...

Had cause to replace the timing cover on a 2.5 in a marine application once. Marine version, red in color, was $50. Automotive application (same material, same thickness, etc.), black in color, was $19.95.

Don't know if this applies on this particular part, though..
This does apply to BMW 3,5&7 series cars same part different ascending prices.

Gaza

1 - 16 of 16 Posts