Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1985 E350 4x4, c6 trans with gearvendor. It has a 6.9 idi that started smoking on me and needs some head or piston work. I did injectors and ip but didn't fix problem. Regardless of the problem now I have to pull or drop engine. I have a 7.3 for parts and some other goodies to make repairs to engine.

I have been trying to do a 4bt swap project but can't seem to save enough money. I recently moved and do not have the space to undertake any projects. I need to make a decision here. I can fix whats there, sell the whole deal, or 4bt swap.

I am reaching out to see:
1. if anyone has experience with 4bt swaps around my way and can share wisdom.
2. If anyone has garage space to rent for repairs, or a mechanic to perform repairs

No diesel shops around my way will work on it. I'm between a rock, a hard place, and a sitting truck.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,520 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Were you thinking about replacing the 6.9 with a 4bt? If so, there are a few things you should consider. There was an adapter plate to mate the B series Cummins to the Ford C6 but it is as rare as hen's teeth. Have only seen one in 10 years. It may be possible there is an aftermarket adapter that would work from a company like Destroked but you'd have to contact them about that. Second, the Gear Vendor's unit will not live with a 4bt. It's power pulses will destroy that OD unit. It works fine with the 6.9/7.3 V8 or even a Cummins 6bt but not a 4bt. Other option would be to change the transmission to a newer unit with a built in OD gear like the E4OD or better yet the 4R100. That would increase the cost of the swap quite a bit. Your may be better off either sourcing a good used 6.9/7.3 or rebuilding what you have. Likely to be a lot cheaper too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts