Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working through a 1973 Bronco rebuild with a 4BT. I have both the mechanical and hydraulic clutch mechanisms but the bellhousing that was mated to the 4BT is cracked in the transmission centering bore. I believe that I can make the original Bronco mechanical clutch linkage work and use the original steel bellhousing. Has anyone used a similar mechanical clutch setup with a 4BT? If you did, what issues needed to be resoved?

Thanks in advance for your help.

James

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
Either design will work provided you do not run into a situation where you have severe frame twisting causing the mechanical linkage to bind or become disconnected.

·
Registered
65 Posts
James, I too am doing a EB. Ditto what Bob said. Run a hydraulic. the added torque of the 4B will cause the mech. linkage geometry to distort and cause inconsistant actuation. I learned this when a bad motor mount on the installed 302ci showed itself as a funky clutch do to the fact that the equalizer bar goes between the frame and the eng. block. I'm still sorting out the particulars of what hyd. components to use so if I can help PM me.
Doug

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Yeah, the 4BT's do move around a good bit on the crappy small mounts. Unless you chain the motor down I'd go hydraulic.

On a bumpside or dentside (67-79) Ford converting to hydraulic clutch takes about an hour. They're very easy using a 90'2 Ford clutch master. I haven't done it on an EB, can't say how it would fit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks!!!

Based on the replies, it looks like the hydraulic setup wins out.

How are things up in your Area? Hotter than a bastard yet?
It hasn't broke a hundred yet but still getting to the mid 90's. Summer is a long way from over though.

Thanks for the help and prompt replies!

James

1 - 8 of 8 Posts