Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one out of a Western Star. what does it take to hook it up to a 4bta?
Thanks

·
Registered
808 Posts
The Mechanical Tach drive mounts on the timing case cover and connects with the Injection Pump Shaft for drive power. From the Cummins Parts Catalog you need;
1 Coupling, Tach Drive 3905306
1 Seal, Rectangular Ring 3903475
1 Adapter, Tach Drive 3903476
1 Drive, Right Angle Tach 3905217
2 Retainer, Tach Drive 3903644
2 Screw, Hex Head Cap 3027685
1 Seal, O Ring 3905218

In the Cummins Parts Catalog, it appears that;
Drive, Tachometer 3905309 is a kit with all of the above parts. But that is not spelled out clearly

Also, it does not state if the drive adapter is a 1:1 ratio or ? You need to check with your Cummins Parts Counter on the Ratio.

Paul

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any idea on $$?
Thanks,
Ben

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
We've got a large Cummins facility in Little Rock, AR - I'll call and see if I can get a price because this is definitely something I'd like to add to my project. Thanks for the part #'s

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Don't want to stick my big nose in your business, doofus, but I'd suggest you look into upgrading that throttle linkage. Looks a little on the flimsy side...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Prices

According to Cummins On-Line the list price for the parts is $189.63.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Don't want to stick my big nose in your business, doofus, but I'd suggest you look into upgrading that throttle linkage. Looks a little on the flimsy side...
Yep LOL,....and I prolly should have hit it with a feather duster to help the appearance a little.

This motor knows nutin but wide open all day,....It use to have a bungy strap before that!:)

Bumpin this back up.........

·
Registered
126 Posts
that looks really clean JoshGB, probably a Hall Effect pick-up of some sort.
Only question is there a location on the housing to accomodate? My guess is yes, but has anyone done this type on a Cummins 4BT yet?

Best Regards,
George

·
Registered
115 Posts
Bump..

My buddy Henry has the same Dakota Digital unit. I know there is a magetic pickup location tapped on teh flywheel housing, so could one theoretically use that instead of drilling/tapping in a new mounting hole?

·
Registered
115 Posts
The plus side to using the Dakota Digital is that you can use that signal to operate the AC amplifier if you have a vehicle A/C that uses one.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The plus side to using the Dakota Digital is that you can use that signal to operate the AC amplifier if you have a vehicle A/C that uses one.
Right, providing an RPM info source to the A/C compressor for kick-on/off. Much circuitry needed for that?

Wondering if all 4BT's have that sensor port you describe. I can't check my motor as it is in transit over the next couple of weeks. Don't recall seeing a threaded hole in the Adapter. That would be great if the threads were right!:)

·
Registered
115 Posts
On paper, it doesn't look too bad. But you know how that goes. Once you start getting into it, it might turn into a nightmare.

Dakota Digital has a nice PDF of how to install it and what wiring is needed into the unit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts