Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '01 isuzu rodeo L4 x22se (blown head gasket) with a man 5 speed i want to swap for the diesel mercedes '79 300D and then convert to wvo with my son. Has anyone or does anyone know if it's doable to mate the isuzu man trans to the Merc? I know this isn't really the right place to ask but i stumbled in here and everyone seems cool so worth a shot! Thanks ahead of time!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That bad you think? Was hoping i could build a plate to mount and some engine mounts to avoid shaft length issues then deal with some vibration from a balance indifference maybe..think I'm dreaming?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I do not see machining an adapter as rocket science as long as you have the skills/tools needed, I've seen some pretty rough looking work that functioned.
need to start with some basic measurements from both ends and them break out the drawing board and see just how compatible things are, is the OM617 flywheel neutral balance and the Isuzu? If so that would give more options if not less options yet still doable.
The other option would be to find a trans/t case combo that has an existing adapter lots of possible options as I see it, if your now wed to the merc you might find a TDI would add more options not sure how happy it would be on WVO...
There was a quote from the early days of aviation " flying is easy, all it takes is money and airspeed" swaps are the same but with enough time on your part can help control costs.
Sounds like a fun father/son project to me ;).

Reactions: Russ McLean

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do not see machining an adapter as rocket science as long as you have the skills/tools needed, I've seen some pretty rough looking work that functioned.
need to start with some basic measurements from both ends and them break out the drawing board and see just how compatible things are, is the OM617 flywheel neutral balance and the Isuzu? If so that would give more options if not less options yet still doable.
The other option would be to find a trans/t case combo that has an existing adapter lots of possible options as I see it, if your now wed to the merc you might find a TDI would add more options not sure how happy it would be on WVO...
There was a quote from the early days of aviation " flying is easy, all it takes is money and airspeed" swaps are the same but with enough time on your part can help control costs.
Sounds like a fun father/son project to me ;).
I appreciate the info! Not sure on the balancing part and I'd bet lying if i said i knew anything other than the 617 is preferred by many in the WVO world.
I just have an isuzu that i literally rebuilt from rubber up less the block and it sits with a warped,blown head so i figured why not. Got a good deal on the merc and it's being shipped as we speak so worse case i guess I'll have to find a matching trans.. 240D maybe.
Do you happen to know if the splines will line up or if there's any other potential grenades? Not looking for a show piece,just something my son can get dirty on and use as his first car maybe,all the while learning manual. I do have a buggy with a K3D mated to a VW manual trans that aside from the lack of low end and idle vibration, is actually really fun. That's what gave me the balls to buy this merc.. Ha!

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I know very little about the om617 or the isuzu, I'm a repair/prototype machinist and incurable and unrepentant tinkerer so I'm just looking at the big picture and it's straight forward IMO. I would think the trans input shaft spline is easily enough to overcome worst case you have a disc custom made to fit spline and OD, if that is the biggest issue then your golden. The engineering is pretty easy you have a common center line you need to nail as well as keeping the adapter parallel beyond that it's all the longitudinal spacing of 3 or 4 components, so LOTS of measuring, sketching, remeasuring, resketching.... A Bridgeport mill and a 10" swing lathe should get the lions share done might need to have an operation or 2 done outside depending on just how creative you can get on your setups, I have done some really amazing projects on my antique machine tools but i have all the time in the world and refuse to lose once the game is on 🙃

·
Registered
15 Posts
Contact Doomsday diesel, he is looking for more adapter combinations for the 60x and 617 mercedes platforms. I got one from him for my build and its pretty nice quality as far as the machining goes, install is coming up and i hope it fits as nice as it looks.
If buying something isnt your style eggman is on top of it, a bridgeport a decent lathe and preferably a large boring mill would be all you need with a dash of brains to build your own adapter. I'm a machinist and could have made one but i decided that it was more worth it for me to buy something than spend the time i know it would take me to design it all out and make a couple test pieces.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know very little about the om617 or the isuzu, I'm a repair/prototype machinist and incurable and unrepentant tinkerer so I'm just looking at the big picture and it's straight forward IMO. I would think the trans input shaft spline is easily enough to overcome worst case you have a disc custom made to fit spline and OD, if that is the biggest issue then your golden. The engineering is pretty easy you have a common center line you need to nail as well as keeping the adapter parallel beyond that it's all the longitudinal spacing of 3 or 4 components, so LOTS of measuring, sketching, remeasuring, resketching.... A Bridgeport mill and a 10" swing lathe should get the lions share done might need to have an operation or 2 done outside depending on just how creative you can get on your setups, I have done some really amazing projects on my antique machine tools but i have all the time in the world and refuse to lose once the game is on 🙃
Thanks, wish i could find some decent machining tools that don't cost a fortune I've been looking for years. I've been known to make things work more than one way so i guess we'll see!

·
Registered
382 Posts
If you're planning on utilizing the Mercedes flywheel, the OM617.952 (turbocharged) common to the 79-85 300d, 300cd etc. is externally balanced both front and rear (balancer & flywheel). The manual flywheels for the 5 cylinder OM617 are astronomically priced and will likely need to come from overseas, since no manual trans equipped OM617 merc's were offered state-side. Luckily, the OM616 (4 cyl.) offered in the 240d came state-side with a manual trans option. The OM616 manual flywheel will fit and work adequately on the OM617 if "match" balanced to the old flex plate. Upon removing the automatic trans from the OM617, you must mark it's crankshaft orientation on its flex plate, before sending both old flex plate and new flywheel off to be "match" balanced. Then upon return, mount the new flywheel onto the OM617 crank in its properly marked orientation. Some guys claim to not care about any of this balancing BS on their OM617 manual projects, but it WILL help reduce vibrations, significantly in some cases.

Dont quote me on this, but I believe the 5 speed manual trans behind your Rodeo X22SE 4 cyl engine is Borg Warner's WC-T5 ("World Class" T5).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts