Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
I used to work a truck shop that service a few of these along with the bigger MB engines. my experance with these things is that these engines are great reliable as hell get great fuel milage... problems come in the form of prices of parts when something does break mercedes benz only... last i knew even some of the filters are mb only but that was a couple years back and it seems as soon as that mb name is on it its worth about 3 times anything else there prices are far worse then anything cummins... and if its like anything else mb the electronics are gonna be an absolute PITA if its even possible.... Although with parts these were also built under the dodge sprinter name so dodge might be an option for parts but i'm pretty sure it will be the same as the frieghtliner seen as until this year they were all the same company... benz, dodge, frieghtliner, detroit diesel, sterling, westernstar and several others i'm probably forgeting

·
Registered
9 Posts
dodge ,freightliner,and benz are all the same with exception of the grill and badging .there all mercedes when it comes to the price of parts!!! all the 5cyl are from mercedes the 6 cyl started when they begain to build them here

·
Registered
92 Posts
dodge ,freightliner,and benz are all the same with exception of the grill and badging .there all mercedes when it comes to the price of parts!!! all the 5cyl are from mercedes the 6 cyl started when they begain to build them here
My understanding is the Mercedes 300D came with the OM617 5 cyl engine & automatic. The OM617 is similar to the one used in the Sprinter (aluminum head). These engines are plentiful in the Bone Yards. There are several forums supporting this engine in transplants. The OM60x engines have cast iron heads, and are available in 4,5,6 cyl.

·
Super Moderator
8,672 Posts
My understanding is the Mercedes 300D came with the OM617 5 cyl engine & automatic. The OM617 is similar to the one used in the Sprinter (aluminum head). These engines are plentiful in the Bone Yards. There are several forums supporting this engine in transplants. The OM60x engines have cast iron heads, and are available in 4,5,6 cyl.
The sprinter engines are very different to the ones you're talking about. The sprinter engines are direct injection, electronically controlled and run a VNT turbo. OM647 is the one my turbo came from.
The 300D engines are mechanical indirect injection.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The sprinter engines are very different to the ones you're talking about. The sprinter engines are direct injection, electronically controlled and run a VNT turbo. OM647 is the one my turbo came from.
The 300D engines are mechanical indirect injection.
I understand the reason to use a VNT turbo. However, it was mentioned on one of the MB forums the base engine is the same (direct injection).

However, I'll gladly stand corrected.

What options are available to get more MPG out of these sprinter engines?

·
Super Moderator
8,672 Posts
I understand the reason to use a VNT turbo. However, it was mentioned on one of the MB forums the base engine is the same (direct injection).

However, I'll gladly stand corrected.

What options are available to get more MPG out of these sprinter engines?
Definitely indirect injection (aka prechamber injection)for the old stuff. BMW only started producing direct injection engines in about 98, at least Cummins and Isuzu had a 20 year head-start.

To get more MPGs you need to fit them to a smaller, lighter and more aerodynamic vehicle. Transmission choice and ratios matter too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
sprinter parts

Sprinters are running $15000 with infinity miles, have never seen a wrecked one in the rebuildable section of Indianaautorv magazine. A wonderful engine, a very expensive hobby if you do find one. If you're that rich,have fun. I'm putting a mercedes 617 110 hp in a 76 F150 pickup, much lower milage and much less suitable, but $750 plus repairs to be determined- a full rebuild would be under $5000. At least, as a diesel, the gasoline won't go "stale" if I don't drive it in the winter, and it should get better than the 11 mpg my F150 gets stock. A 4bt or 6.9/7.3 Liter are too heavy for the twin I beam front suspension. Pity, I saw a 6.9L + C6 transmission for $750 last week.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Sorry for the off topic, but how is any one of the heavier engines you listed too heavy for Ford twin-I-beam front suspension? Twin-I-beam is the toughest 2wd stuff on the planet, Baja proven. Millions upon millions of F-250 2wd Fords have been made with twin-I-beam and Navistar V8 diesels. The 250 stuff is the same darn thing as 150 stuff except for a slightly larger kingpin in the older stuff. The newer balljoint beams appear to use the same balljoints 150/250 to me, but haven't verified that.

I've owned many F-100 2wd's and can wholeheartedly attest to how tough the front suspension is. If you add front end weight you ad more spring. Run 250 or 350 springs under your 150 with a sway bar and it'll handle any weight you put in the engine bay.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I first learned of the Sprinter & its 2.7L diesel a few years back when my son was working for FedEx Ground. He spoke of its awesome 22 - 24 MPG in stop & go city delivery service
The previous company I worked for that did freight expediting, most drivers claimed mid 20's as well, that was with a 2 pallet load.

When we pulled them intot he shop to do sattelite installs, they are remarkably quiet.

Don't know but even the wrong taillight bulb in a sprinter messes with the electronics

We had brand new ones coming to us with the fuses all taped in the fuse box below the driver seat. We found out it was a good idea to leave the tape, the damn fuses would fall out without it on most. The holding prongs were way to loose. :idea:

·
Registered
92 Posts
No. The Jeep Liberty CRD used a 2.8L 4 cylinder VM Motori (Italy) diesel. The earlier Mercedes/Dodge/Freightliner Sprinters used a 2.7L 5 cylinder Mercedes diesel and the most recent sprinters use a 3.0 V6 Mercedes diesel.

Any place I can get specs on the V6 Mercedes engine? Including physical measurements ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
For those still interested.

I am pretty sure the 5 cyl benz engine was also used in overseas Jeep Grand Cherokee's. Those have a rear sump oil pan.

Great motor.

I really think someone needs to design a fully programmable and user friendly stand alone computer system for Diesel engines. It would open up so many new options! The Tuner guys have them....why can't the diesel guys!

The stock ECU should be a Bosch product on a Can-c network. Those have been hacked I think.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is that the same engine they put in the Jeep Liberty CRD?
the liberty/ cherokee uses a MV Motori
Only available in 2005 and 2006 for the Sport and Limited models, the 2.8L VM Motori CRD " from wikipedia
this is the engine in question below

"The Mercedes-Benz OM612 engine is a straight-5 diesel engine produced by Mercedes-Benz.

It was introduced in 1999 for the 2000 model year in a 170 PS (168 hp/125 kW) version in the W210 E-Class, and in the W203 C-Class in 2000.

A detuned version with 156 PS (154 hp/115 kW) were used in the W90x Sprinter from 2000 to 2006.

2002–2004 grand cherokee 2.7 L Diesel OM647 Diesel I5 161 hp (120 kW) 295 lb·ft (400 N·m) available in Europe and Australia only

the ssangyong stavic also uses it
theck wikipedia ssangyong rodius

also I believe 1998 / 05 ml 320 (in europe)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Newer Grand Cherokee's have a non bluetec version of the Mercedes V6 (3.0) which might be the same as is in the sprinter. I am not sure if the sprinter got the newer technology or not. I completely agree with the stand alone computer sentiment, that would open up whole new arenas. They need to create a light diesel racing league to promote diesels and create newer technologies and options. Now if I only was rich, then, I would put one of those in my old truck.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I have been driving a Frieghtliner Sprinter around with the 5 cyl. I can squeeze 26 MPG from this full size van has anyone looked into swapin one of these into something? They seem to be reliable and parts should be available. What cha think?
this engine is used even in some small trucks in latin america... gross vehicle weight around 15000lbs...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sprinter engine for transplant

I am looking for such an engine to be transplanted to my MB 300E 1989.

I think these are very good engines. However, I look for a OM651 engine.

Which one do you have?

OldBeaver

I have been driving a Frieghtliner Sprinter around with the 5 cyl. I can squeeze 26 MPG from this full size van has anyone looked into swapin one of these into something? They seem to be reliable and parts should be available. What cha think?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Mercedes Benz Sprinter Engine

I got very interested too.

However, I am a little confused: there is another Sprinter Wagon that uses a OM651 turbo CDI, with 4 cylinders and only 2145 cc.

Any of them sound good to me. I want to get one to install on my Mercedes car.

Do you know where I can get one of them?

OldBeaver

Here is a little info that a search turned up, its a press release but still some info.

Best in class fuel efficiency of 25 mpg overall

· 243 pound-feet of torque and 154 horsepower

· Five-cylinder diesel engine with Common-rail Direct Injection (CDI)

The premium Dodge Sprinter 2.7L in-line five cylinder Common-rail Injection Diesel Engine (CDI) is exactly what customers are demanding in a medium-duty commercial vehicle. With 154 hp and 243 pound-feet of torque at 1,600 – 2,400 rpm, the state-of-the-art engine all but guarantees very low fuel consumption without sacrificing operating performance in meeting tough, daily applications. A proven winner, the Mercedes-Benz 2.7L turbo diesel engine has already established itself throughout the world, in handling today’s business delivery and transport needs.

Engine technology features:

· Sleeveless gray-cast iron cylinder crankcase

· Coolant passage pistons made from aluminum alloys

· Forged crankshaft with six bearings

· Valve train with tappets and hydraulic valve lifters

· State-of-the-art Common-rail Direct Injection system (CDI)

Variable geometry turbocharger to improve response characteristics while reducing fuel consumption and emission levels

Setting a new standard, the advanced engine technology is rounded off by a comprehensive electronic engine management system that controls the CDI solenoid valves, idle speed stabilizer, vibration reduction system, exhaust gas recirculation, start control, immobilizer and turbo boost pressure controller.

The 2.7L CDI combines longer life, low maintenance costs and better fuel efficiency, giving customers the smooth, clean, quiet performance not typically expected from diesels

21 - 40 of 80 Posts