Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a Mercedes diesel swap into a Scout I have. I have a few diiferent scouts, and an 82 300SD that runs like a champ. I suppose there are a few transmission options, and I hope to have this thread focus on which are most applicable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am considering a Mercedes diesel swap into a Scout I have. I have a few diiferent scouts, and an 82 300SD that runs like a champ. I suppose there are a few transmission options, and I hope to have this thread focus on which are most applicable.
I'm also looking to swap a MB OM617 into a Jeep YJ. I'm looking to use a NSG 370. Ironically the NSG 370 is used in the MB G class.

You're right... the OM617 is a good engine. I have a 83 300SD and 85 300D. The 300D has 289k and the engine still run strong it in.

I've seen kits that will allow you to bolt up a AX15 to it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suppose a link to the 4x4 Labs site would be in order for this post.
http://www.4x4labs.com/products/diesel-conversions/

It seems that while expensive this may be the easiest way to do a Mercedes diesel conversion. In my case I think a GM NV4500 woulde be a great tranny in my Scout. The granny first gear of 6.41 to 1 leads me to believe that combined with the right gears I could tow a boat or do some serious off roading. One of the benefits of this motor is it's ability to reach into high revving territory which would kill another diesel. Hitting peak torque in the 3200 RPM range is a big benefit to gearing this motor down low.

I have read of conversion where 5th gear was unusable because the motor couldn't get in it's sweet spot. I am thinking that with a set of 4.88 or 5.29 gears in the axles with 35 inch tires that an NV4500 combo would be a great driving transmission. I think it would be way overbuilt and able to work assuming the motor is properly cooled. I would need to figure out a transfer case that would drop to the passenger side for my Scout axle. I am thinking an NP205 or Dana 300. Any other ideas? What other GM transmission should be considered?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm also looking to swap a MB OM617 into a Jeep YJ. I'm looking to use a NSG 370. Ironically the NSG 370 is used in the MB G class.

You're right... the OM617 is a good engine. I have a 83 300SD and 85 300D. The 300D has 289k and the engine still run strong it in.

I've seen kits that will allow you to bolt up a AX15 to it.
Is the kit you are talking about the one offered by Hulkgreen. I have called him and sent several PM's. I think an AX 15 would be a great tranny and gives me a lot of transfer case options. I wonder about balance, can a local machinist balance the flywheel to my motor or will they do it using my old flywheel? How do I mark it etc???

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do it yourself adapter

With few option available for a Mercedes diesel perhaps a discusion of do it yourself adapters is in order. I have read posts from guys like Someone that have made there own adapters. No one seems to report any problems, but I am scared of balance, and shortenng the life of my motor. It is very important for me to have a conversion that is as robust and reliable as the vehicle I took it out of. If not I am creating a headache instead of the reliable diesel I want.

With my Scout swap, it seems like a cheap way to be up and reliable even if it may not give as many options is to use a Scout t19. The diesel version is 4 to 1 in first gear and 1 to 1 in fourth with no overdrive. I seems that this tranny would work as long as I don't expect the flexibility of more gears. The price is right and it should be cheap. It also allow me to use the Dana 20 transfer case. Maybe I will get lucky and be able to mount the Merc diesel so I don't have to cut drive lines.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Going cheap which means Scout T19 no lift 31 inch tires, it looks like I would be running just over 3000 rpm's in fourth gear. That would be perfect for this Benz and make a grat 4x4 daily driver with great fuel mileage and chep tires. The drivetrain should be bullet proof and this would be a decent driver.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Leith 5.27 gears and 35 inch tires I get just above 3000 rpm's wiith an Nv4500 in 5th. Does anyone question the ability of the Mercedes diesel to push thta boxy Scout at 75 with a lift and 35 inch tires? Would it need even more gearing? I would love more discussion. Also how would it do offroad? Would a need a transfer case that is deeper than 2 to 1? I think with a 2 to one case 1st gear and an NV4500 would give me around a 40 to 1 crawl ratio.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I have been very happy with the 700r4 behind my OM617 in my cherokee. Compared to the benz trans the 700r4 is way better, I have lots of power from the start, plus this thing loves 70+mph on the freeway! So far fuel mileage appears to be high 20s(only have 300mi on it) Making the adapters wasn't too hard, this was my first build, I'd do it again, maybe a stick but you have to be careful of ballance. The factory manual states that each motor is ballanced as a complete unit, so changing the flywheel requires matching the ballance.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am moving ahead with this swap, and slowly gathering parts. I have a Scout, an 82 300SD, and an SM465 with a Gm205 transfer case. Now I am trying to decide if I should spend the money to do this easy and bolt on a 4x4 Labs adapter, or if I should try and make my own adapter. I was looking at another post and it showed that a GM flywheel would bolt up to the Mercedes crank if I just tapped the holes out 1/16th. Of course I would need to drill additional holes if I wanted it to match up, but I am considering just using the GM holes and leaving the others empty. Will this cause any problems? Essentially I will get the clutch bolted on and then I will line everything up and mark bolt holes. Or I will make it easy and buy the 4x4 Labs thing.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
287 Posts
I was thinking about that thread today. Drilling the flywheel is the next big thing on my list. The Ford 300-6 crank bolt pattern covers five of the holes, since the pattern is offset a bit.
I really wish I had access to a lathe with enough throw to stick this flywheel on and scribe the location. I may just bolt both the Ford and Mercedes flywheels to the back of the crank so I can punch mark the spots on the Ford flywheel. My hub bushing and pilot bearing are handling the locating duties.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been researching various engines to do such a conversion as well and since NC will not allow the Cummins B3.3 (not highway rated), the Mercedes-Benz OM617 appears to be the next choice. I have a '64 Scout 80 with everything original (3 speed 152 engine, 4x4, Dana 27 I think). Have you made any progress on your conversion? I'm looking for advice as to the type of drive train mods my son and I should do to make this into a practical daily driver that could be used for towing occasionally. Ideally mid to high 20's fuel economy would be nice. It was recommended that I swap out the axles for the Scout II's with front disc brakes (Dana 44 or 60). Should I look at the 4x4 Labs adaptor and an NV4500. Would there be any benefit of the turbo over a non-turbo? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sweet swap, I love Scouts a Mercedes diesels so it sounds like the perfect combination. If I had your Scout, I would do the axle swap first. I would probably cut down a Chevy Dana 44 with flat top knuckles and use Scout shafts etc... I would do a spring over and use the Scout rear axle in back. With an NV4500 the ultimate set of gears would be 5.56 in the axles. You could run a 33" tire. As far a transfer cases a 203/205 doubler sour be sweet. Of course topping it off with selectable lockers would really pit the icing on the cake.

I think a Scout built in this manner would be able to cruise the freeway, crawl Moab, and tow reasonable loads. Mileage would be mid 20's. It would be as reliable as sunset and dawn.

I suppose the question is how much money yo want to spend and what your timline is like. Basically if you want to bolt everything together and bolt it in then the 4x4labs kit is the way to go. It is tried and tested and will save you a buch of hours trying to get it to work. It nay be a good idea since an axle swap can be involved. I will be posting my tranmission adapter build right here in this thread. It will be a while, I am currently preparing to inspect my fanny and replace all of the seals. I cleaned it and it has a coat of paint on it, but it won't be going together for a few weeks or months. I think it would be a good idea to start a new thread and give us some pics.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I've been researching various engines to do such a conversion as well and since NC will not allow the Cummins B3.3 (not highway rated), the Mercedes-Benz OM617 appears to be the next choice. I have a '64 Scout 80 with everything original (3 speed 152 engine, 4x4, Dana 27 I think). Have you made any progress on your conversion? I'm looking for advice as to the type of drive train mods my son and I should do to make this into a practical daily driver that could be used for towing occasionally. Ideally mid to high 20's fuel economy would be nice. It was recommended that I swap out the axles for the Scout II's with front disc brakes (Dana 44 or 60). Should I look at the 4x4 Labs adaptor and an NV4500. Would there be any benefit of the turbo over a non-turbo? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
You definetly want to go with the turbo and a 5spd. I am getting 25+mpg with my OM617 Cherokee with #5 cyl down 100lbs comp. I am in the process of replacing it with a good motor, so I anticipate even better mpg#'s

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think a 700r4 would be the ticket unless you are making a crawler. Hard to get the best of both worlds with a manual and no overdrive. If you go a nv4500 iirc you need a chevy bellhousing to get an external slave. Internal slave should be avoided in my opinion.
I spoke with these guys and they will sell the adapter and crank hub for approx $550... if you are trying to with a manual trans.
without the starter and flex plate. (well worth it if you ask me.)
http://www.transmissionadapters.com/Mercedes diesel.htm

I specifically asked about balance and this is the reply: they should know!

"If it is externally balanced then of course the position would matter. As far as I can tell (and until someone proves different) the Mercedes is neutrally balanced."

**One more thing to be aware of...the starter for the 4x4 labs unit is a Ford V10 starter that lays horizontal as viewed from the front and the solenoid sticks out quite bit. Dieselcruiserhead ran into this problem in his truck conversion and needs to clearance the frame so the solenoid won't hit the frame. major pain in the ass.

FWIW I'd go with a dana 300 too.... just makes sense unless you are building a rig for mostly crawling . NP 205 is a big mofo.
on the above adapter link from Bendtsen’s Transmission Adapters the solenoid comes in the 11:00 O'clock position but they tell me it can be rotate 360* fwiw

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone,

Im new here and i've been trying to do my home work for some time know on a project i would like to do.
I have a 97 dakota 4x4 and it would be cool i think to put a MB OM617 in my truck. it seems like people are putting 4bt's in them but i have not heard of putting the MB OM617 in them. would it be possible to bolt a Allison 1000 trans to this motor it's just an idea. Im very new to all of this stuff and apologize for any future dumb questions i might have

·
Registered
126 Posts
Why the Allison 1000? sometimes we are dollars ahead using something that has been tried and engineered before.
I do not know the specs on the Allison ...just curious as to why you want it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think this transmission would be totally overkill for how most people tune their OM617. Plus, the Allison 1000 is electronically controlled so you would have to deal with getting the electronics to play nice with the rest of the Dakota. On the plus side, the 1000 has more gear ratios (5 or 6) than most other transmissions that other people have used, allowing you to more easily put the engine in it's power band. But, overal, like Berg said, there are probably better options.

I think it would be interesting to see you put a om617 in your Dakota and I look forward to seeing a build thread on it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Berg& superds for your input on this project im wanting to do. I was considering using a 46re or 47re for the OM617 before i researched the Allison trans but i cant find info on an adapter kit that would let me do this and probley be hard to do the same thing to the Allison but i think it would be neat and yes i would need a controller for it and that means all my gauges wouldnt work.If anybody knows any info on hooking up a OM617 and a 47re together or even the Allison 1000 let me know im all ears.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Making your own adapter is not that difficult, I'm assuming you have some fabricating skills or you would'nt be thinking about a swap. The OM617 isn't like most diesels, meaning it has a wider power band, more useable rpm. Most diesels are low rpm so lots of gears are needed to maximize the power, this motor acts more like a gasser, revving up to 5000+rpm. It would be a lot less work to adapt your trans than try to cram that huge allison in.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts