Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is a website if you decide to build with an AX-15 or NV3550 transmission. Kits are 340.00 and you can balance flywheel to match your exsisting MB flywheel as long as you have NOT removed it from crankshaft yet?? The diesel bomber forum has several threads on OM617 in wranglers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Old thread, but figured I could contribute some information on transmission options for the MB diesels. There is a good list of MB transmissions that came in the W460/W461/W463 Geländewagen/G-class/G-Wagen on the 4x4abc site:

http ://4x4abc.com/Mercedes-Benz.G-Class.manuals/transmissions/getriebe.html
(there's a space between http and :, it wont let me post full links until my post count is higher)

Most of these will mate to most MB diesels with the right bellhousing and flywheel. Being a fairly heavy truck (~4400lbs) they will all be suitable for moderate or casual offroad use, but for more hardcore abuse the ironbox (non-Getrag) units are the more attractive option. Of the ironboxes, there are a few that are of particular interest.

The 711.117 and 711.113 both have overdrive 5th. They are essentially the same transmission with the exception that the .117 is the military version that is sealed for water-crossings, with the .113 being the industrial/commercial truck version.

The 711.116 and 711.110 both have a granny 1st and 1:1 5th. They too are essentially the same transmission with the .116 being the sealed military version, and the .110 being the industrial/commercial version.

All four of those transmissions are fairly rare and difficult to source, and you will pay a premium for them, but they were designed to work with the MB diesels and from what I gather are some of the most stout transmissions you can find for mid-size trucks. I sourced a 711.113 for my W460 G since I wanted it to have better highway manners than with the non-OD 711.200 4sp I have in there now. With any of these you will need a divorced transfer case setup.

Several people have used the Getrag units (much easier to source) in their G's with regular off-road use and seem pleased with them. I wasn't in any major hurry and have plans for some long distance hardcore overlanding well out of the reach of recovery vehicles, so I held out for the ironbox.

Happy swapping.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Has anyone played with keeping the original MB transmission?

I've got a 240D, 4-cyl NA, with a 4 speed manual trans. I'm wondering if I can hook it to a divorced transfer case, in something small like a Kaiser / Willy. I see engineless tubs coming up for sale every so often.

Reason is the manual trans already has a low 1st gear and seems fairly solid.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts