Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I turned this out for my wife for Christmas. It's made of Micarta which is layers of cotton or linen cloth bound by a phenolic resin, commonly and originally used as an electrical insulator, gears and other mechanical stuff, and more recently used for knife handles.

I forgot to get any in progress pictures but after roughing out the pieces on the saw the rest was done by on the lathe (not CNC). Outside diameter is 6" and the treads are 6 pitch. The removable tray is brass silver soldered together, when putting it back in the box it slowly falls into place as air escapes through a vent hole in the center knob.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Looks good!

From my experiences, cutting micarta isn't bad once you get past the smell. I used to get small pieces for free at work and cut it into antenna insulators back in my radio enthusiast days.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
nice looking piece there grigg, there is no better feeling in making something for someone

can remember machining a load of similar stuff when i worked for a plastics engineering firm called tufnol. The smell was horrible but used to machine up beautiful provided cutters were kept sharp.

last year, i made a ring for my fiance out of some titanium i picked up some 15 years ago then heat treated it to made it that beautiful blue/purple colour.

1496017_800049950011698_1633270283_o.jpg

Year before that i made her a set of billet alloy picture frames.

·
Super Moderator
8,748 Posts
Beautiful job Grigg. I think I know the same material as orcot.
How did you get such a clean finish to the thread?

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks,
It does have a distinctive smell though I don't find it objectionable. It is helpful to use a shop vac and slurp up the dust as its made.

Micarta is the name I'm most familiar with but it is just one name of many for the material. I have done some research on it, you'll find it here http://monitortop.freeforums.net/thread/56/textolite-fridge-door-bench-top?page=1#post-282

I used some carbide tools but the threads were cut with tool steel I ground and sharpened quite keen. It machines very well, finished with some simple oil wood finish.

Grigg

Reactions: tjflicek
1 - 6 of 6 Posts