Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get an idea on what performance mods I should do to the engine I plan on dropping in my 02 F150 with a M5R2 sitting behind it. I think the M5R2 will handle some where around 350-380 lb-ft of torque and would like to get a 4BT to right around 350 lb-ft or so. Horsepower isn't my main concern as much as the torque is. I wasn't planning on running an intercooler. I mainly want to focus on getting the engine in and running before I even think about the intercooler and am afraid it would push the transmission to far with the intercooler. I was thinking about basically running without an intercooler and with a 366 gov spring and 190cc injectors. Any other ideas or suggestions that could help me stay within the limits of my transmission?

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Stock 4bt is over 300ft/lbs...... You can hit 350ft/lbs by just adjusting the fuel screw.... No need for injectors.

·
Registered
13 Posts
is it a 4wd truck? If not you can always swap to cobra spec tremec later on down the road...

or if you want towing... and not speed a ZF5 will be simple enough...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a 2WD. I'm going for mileage more than anything. And I'll run the M5 until it blows. But I would like to be able to pull an occasional trailer no more than 7000lbs though. ZF5's are what came in the 7.3L Powerstrokes correct, or at least the pre-97 body style?

·
Registered
509 Posts
do some searching. there is a diesel and a gas zf5. the m5R2 is not a zf5 diesel. m5r2 came behind like 1993ish straight six engines. pretty confident there is no pto provision in any form. zf5 diesel is pretty stout. but wont work with a ford gas small block adapter plate. youd need a special diesel(same as big block iirc) to cummins adapter plate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts