Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to my service manual I am missing the paper gasket that sits on the water outlet housing. However Quick Serve does not show this gasket. So do I need it or not?? My engine CPL is 1839, The outlet I am using is from a '95 Dodge 6BT

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have ran into issue before myself , there is not supposed to be a gasket in that location . I know it shows one there . I just can’t remember what the answer was as to why it’s not used . I think it was only for some type of alignment purposes.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I just compared the dodge thermostat housing to the housing that come with the 4bt and the dodge housing is deeper....I'll have to call the parts store tomorrow and order the proper gasket

·
Registered
11,225 Posts
I just looked in my Cummins industrial 4bt parts manual and no drawings show a paper gasket. However, that doesn't mean there isn't one. Seems like sometime after the first generation Cummins re-engineered that thermostat housing which accounts for the different depth. I beieve that large rubber ring may be different in the 2 designed and even the thermostat may be different too. Your rubber ring is the same one shown in my catalog 3923331. I did find that paper gasket in your diagram. It's Cummins part 3101054. Also, you may have the wrong rubber seal. The '89-93 units were the 1 piece and the '94-98 were 2 pieces. The 2 piece gaskets are parts 3933325 and 3925466. It is quite possible that the thermostat is different also. The one spec'd for the '94-98 is part 3928499. It is a good likelihood these part numbers have changed. I believe the new seal numbers are 4761291 for the outer, 4761292 for the inner, and 4796869 for the thermostat. Here's a good write up with diagrams. Doesn't show that thin paper gasket. 12V Cummins Thermostat Replacement A thermostat kit is available from Mopar under part 5014568AA which has the thermostat and both seals.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts