Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well that's what I'm looking at. I have a customer that has 2 non runners they are looking to sell. Since I sold my main plow truck earlier this year I was debating on buying one or both to set up for snow removal. Already have the plows might as well get them back into use right?

My concern is if they are worth buying. I have not been given the details of them or a price yet so I'm looking for people with experience to share their knowledge. I know nothing about these trucks from a usage standpoint so let me know about your experiences and thoughts.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Most trucks that size dont even need 4x4 to plow, especially with some salt or sand on/in the bed.

I know the mistus arent as good of trucks as the gmc/isuzu but you do see a lot of them on the road still so they cant be that terrible.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Won't be doing salt this year unless I come across a cheap spreader.

Not much info on the fuso trucks on here.

I'm thinking of offering $1000 for both and see if they take it.

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
A friend of mine bought one, I helped him bring it home. I followed along at 50-55 MPH on the highway some 600-700 miles.
Now that he has it home he likes it a lot, a chip truck for his tree service business, rarely leaves the county so top speed is not so much of an issue.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I probably won't even tag it. Just want a truck I can stage with my skid at the lots. Probably put SMV triangles and blinky lights all over it so it's highly visible.

How was the frame on your friends truck? This one is pretty rusty. My other concern is the auto trans? Any offerings on that?

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
His was/is reasonable rusty, well painted now and some repairs were made. Still he understands it won't last forever, but he's been making good money with it for a few years now and likely has several more years in it.
His has a 5 speed, he didn't want a auto.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I bet the auto for those is probably some variation of the aisin aw450. These are tough transmissions, but in a 15k gvw 4x4 truck, they are probably subject to some serious strain. Now that you ask, I wonder if these have a married tcase? If so, there may be some very real chance to use this transmission behind an Isuzu in a landcruiser (think Astr on mud) or other jap 4x4.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the way you think.

Made a stop by and looked at them better..... if the engine and trans are functional that's all they are worth. Rest of the trucks are completely rusted through and cabs are torn all apart on the inside

1 - 8 of 8 Posts