Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading through the wealth of information on this forum, and found the Files on the old forum. Two of the files (4BT36.pdf & 4BT39_1.pdf) have specifications for the 4BT motor, but they are of different models. Models are 4BT3.9-C110 and 4BT3.9A-C130 respectively.

What will the Engine ID tag say on it for each of the motors? (or is it same as the model number)

Is one motor more common than the other? I really like the torque ratings on the 4BT3.9A-C130 as they surpass the Ford I-6 300ci motor by quite a large margin. I'd rather search for this one, unless there were few in use for trucks.

I can't seem to find any 4BTs anywhere around Connecticut, but I do know how to be patient.

Thank you

·
Registered
120 Posts
The difference in the two motors is the 4bta is aftercooled. That is what gives the extra power. Just a guess but I'd think the non-aftercooled version is more common. Not basing that on anything besides the pictures i've seen of people swapping.

Its possible to add either the air-water or the air-air aftercooler to the non-aftercooled version and tweak the pump a bit to get the higher power output. That's what my plan is once I get the engine in and running. Then I can play with adding a bit more power if needed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its possible to add either the air-water or the air-air aftercooler to the non-aftercooled version and tweak the pump a bit to get the higher power output. That's what my plan is once I get the engine in and running. Then I can play with adding a bit more power if needed.
Is it possible t use an aftercooler off any cummins engine or does it need to be specific to the 4bt?

Thanks

·
Registered
120 Posts
The air-water aftercooler is specific to the 4bt. You should be able to use just about any air-air aftercooler (intercooler) if it allows enough flow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts