Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The plan, 1986 F-350 XLT Lariot 4x4 regular cab chassis, Gas guzzling 460 CID C6 auto. Former pulling truck, the sled not a trailer. D60 in the front w/locker, 10 1/4 in rear w/ auburn unit, 4:10 gears. Dual rear wheels with alcoa buds at all 4 corners. 9' Aluminum flat bed with goose neck hitch hidden under it. Thats what it was, in this form it was used to haul firewood, scrap, pull trailers, both goose and bumper pull, haul hey and the only 4x4 on the road for me. About a year ago the cab got so bad I choose not to reup the registration until some repairs where made. So August of 2007 I cleanned out the old mans garage and begain the project.
In the begining I had planned to replace the engine with another 460 that
would have only run on Premium unleaded, High compression and large cam.
I also planned to replace the aluminum flat bed with a steel bed, you would not beleive what firewood does to aluminum when you haul 20 cord a year, I also planned on putting a hoist under the bed to assist in unloading. I had to replace the cab all other shhet metal was in very good condition. I had planned to convert the truck to a standard. That was it I was going to do all this and just put it right back on the road. That was my first mistake.
The first purchase was a cab from ebay, A cherry 85 cab on a frame section with new fenders, doors, and rad support. The cab was stripped out and had the beginings of a roll cage, it was going to be a prostreet truck but owner lost intrest. Road trip to Toledo to get it.
The second thing I bought was a 1986 F-250 for parts, it had the T-19 and all the components for the standard swap. Parts truck had 46K and was also an XLT Lariot extendo cab.
The third purchase was the steel flat bed and under bed hoist, sciccors type 5 ton. I ended up with a 9' x 8' steel bed with cross members on 16" centers, special order.
With these parts and a plan I begain to dissasseble the parts truck, scattered it infact, all over the place. Cleaned the garage and organized the parts made a trip to the scrap yard then brought over the 86 dually. Before I ripped it completely apart I wanted to mock up the bed and hoist with the cab on the frame.
Removed the alumminum bed and sold it to a passer by, saved me the trip to the scrap yard. Begain to mock up the hoist. The owner of Toms Equipment in hickory PA told me I would not be able to keep my goose neck and put a hoist under my new bed, I don't know why but if someone tells me I can't do something it always seems to push me harder to prove them wrong. After some design time and alot of head scratchin I had figured out how to do it. The Ford chassis has the fuel tank inside the frame on the drivers side. To get the hoist low enough I had offset it 6" to the right to clear the fuel tank. next I turned the hoist around to allow the pivot points too be closer which allows a steeper dump angle but not to close so the dump effort wasn't too high. The goose limited the area I had to use for the hoist so I had to turn it around. Next I had to fabricate a new goose plate to be lower then org. and top bolt directly to the frame. I used the org. plate and some angle and flat stock, in the end the bed rested perfectly onto the goose plate with plenty room for everything to work together.
Next the cab and front came off, parts scattered as before, no trip to the scrap yard yet though I still need to much from the interior of the cab.
This became a pivital moment in the build, I relized that It wouldn't be a very economical truck with gas prices on the rize and the fact that it was going to get 5 or 6 MPG, A good friend was planning to 4B his 1979 Ford, the very truck my new 460 was in (I bought it from him). So He and I decided to trade engines, which is funny cause I bought the 460 from him and never heard it run, matter of fact I still havn't. But I ended up with a 1985 4BT 105HP Ford Bell, clucth, flywheel, T-19 BW and an assortment of parts. The entire project was now changeing I now had to plan for the low RPM and high Torq. of the 4BT and was intrested in fuel economy. I joined the forum and begain to change my project and mold it into something that would perform all the tasks I need it too.

Purchases To Date $11,250.00
Truck $5,000.00
ebay cab $300.00
Parts Truck $1,500.00
Flat bed $900.00
Hoist $250.00
Rebuilt 460 $1,500.00
4BT & parts $1,500.00 & a running DOVE 460
ZF 5spd & xcase $300.00

Income From Project To Date $7100.00
Previous income from truck $5,000.00
1st Scrap run $300.00
Aluminum bed $300.00
Resale of Rebuit 460 $1,500.00

Project total to date $4,150.00

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
12-9-07 Sunday
Worked on the garage door yesterday. Picked up my Transmision and Tranfer case from a local truck parts supplier, I ended up with the 5.41:1 low which I think will be good for what I have planned for the truck. The transfer attached to it though brought up some questions, It is smaller and lighter then the org. in the 86, I will get all the info off the tag and post it soon, mabey someone will know what it is with these numbers and I can also resurch it to figure out which I will use allthough after some discussion in the general Forums I am leanning twards the smaller case.

Gave my wife a Christmas wish list with all the goodies I will need for the Truck, such as Pyrometer, Boost Gauge and a stud kit. We will see is Santa is a 4BT fan as well?

Later

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
12-12-07 Wednesday
No work to the truck, the garage door however almost ripped my arm off at the elbow on Tuesday we had the spring wound too tightly. I did get my power steering pump this evening though. I also had the Original owner of the truck email me some of his build picture from the first time around, just thought they would add some perspective to the big picture of where this truck came from.

The first pic is right after the truck was completed the first time. Painted in viper blue metalic, pretty color the body didn't hold up though.

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its A 4BT Christmas

Day after Christmas, Santa must really like 4BT's he supplied me w/ lotsa goodies for the swap. Nothing new on the truck but the garage door does work as it should. Now just have to finish running the hot water hoses to the heat exchanger so we can heat the garage.

Pyrometer 60.00
Boost 60.00
Volt Meter 50.00
Oil Pressure 60.00
Coolant Temp 60.00
Headlight bezels 40.00
Billet grille 120.00
LED Fire strip 75.00
Sound matting 50.00
Head Stud kit 300.00
Gasket kit 150.00
Tachometer Free
Body mount kit 50.00

Total for Christmas 1,075.00
Overall Total 4,150.00

Grand total to this point, 5,225.00

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Progress

I got to work on the truck last night, I had to clean the garage first but I did get to bolt the trans to the engine and set her between the frame rails. Some questions got answered, The 460 frame stands must be removed from the frame and the ZF cross member is needed to move the assembly back enough to clear the front crossmember. The front mounts are probably going to have to be fabbed but I am removing a set of 300 frame stands today to see if they will work like I have been told. The trans crossmember will have to be modified slightly to raise the rear of the trans aprox. 2 inches to level out the assembly in the frame. All in all the engine looks good in the frame rails and I think it will be a real clean install.

Attachments

·
Registered
645 Posts
Looks great. Sure wish I could come across an aluminum flat bed like that for $300! That is just what I'm looking for. I think just the material to build one will be $1000 or so for me. Was the deck 1/8" tread plate? Just a 4x8 sheet of that stuff is $400+ !!! Your transfer case looks like a Borg Warner 1356 which has a very low low range gear, like 2.6 to 1 which makes for a very good crawl ratio. Unless you are planning extreme off roading it will be fine, one word of caution, the back case is magnesium and will corrode around the steel bolts in the presence of the winter salt. Mine actually had a small pin hole thru the case that I patched with JB weld. if yours is good clean it up around the bolts with a wire brush and cover the bolt heads and surrounding case surface with RTV. that will seal out the salt and stop the corrosion. Another thing, assuming its a 1356 is to take off the back case and look at the oil pump arm and the boss in the case that it rides in. Some of the cases had a small boss which over the years wore some and allowed the oil pump arm to spin which stops the pump from pumping and burns up the bearings. The fix is to weld up the boss on the case or I've heard of drilling a hole thru the case and installing a nut and bolt sealed with RTV so the pump arm rides up against the bolt head. Google "Borg Warner 1356 transfer case problem" it will explain this better.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Boy that is great Mongo, keep it up and keep posting, should be great when its all done!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The transfer is the 1356 and thanks for all the great info on this case, I do not plan on any major offroad trips but I will be going into the woods for fire wood. The aluminum bed that I sold was junk, it had most all the xmembers crushed from overloading, one of the last loads I hauled was an H50XM Hyster w/o the counterweight and tires. This proved to be to much for the poor bed, It had other problems as well. I have installed the steel replacement allready and hope not to destroy it as I did the Aluminum bed. The old farmer that bought the bed saved me the trip to the scrape yard.

I had the chance to harvest some parts today from my parts garden. I got the 300 frame stands I needed, they look like they will work but will find out for sure tommarow. I also got some other things, front shaft and some bell bolts.

Thanks guys for helping out, the forum has saved me some serious time and money! Not to mention from making some of the bonehead moves I probably would have if I was not educated. Thanks to everyone

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing how the 300 frame stands work with your motor mounts! I believe the 300 throttle cable is the one that will be the correct length also.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 300 frame stands work well I will have to drill the lower two bolts for the right side and 1 upper and both lower bolts for the left side to be able to bolt them into place. The mounts meet the stands nicely however the engine does sit pretty high in the front. I have installed a 3/4" Spacer under the trans mount to help bring the back up a little.

My frame was a cab chassis frame I am willing to bet if you where installing the 300 stands into a 1/2 or 3/4 Ton truck they would probably bolt right in w/ no problems. My xmember has an area that allows clearance for the 460 oil filter this is why some hole must be drilled into it.

Now what are the rubber mounts installed onto my 4BT and where can I get new ones mine are worn out. I was going to just try and match them up, but someone has to know.

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some more pics of the frame stands installed

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
The motor mounts look like First Generation Cummins/Dodge. There are good pictures on the forum to compare! Your oil pan looks a bit higher than mine. I have approximately 1.75 inches between the pan and the crossmember (2 x 4 on narrow side). That gives me about 1-1.5 inches hood clearance. It's looking good so far! What's the number for the turbo that you have?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Turbo is from a Trackmobile w/ a 6BTA the attached photo shows all the numbers.

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
Thank you for the info. If I step up to an HX35W, I'll keep that in mind for my high-mount system. I don't have any info on that particular turbo, but I'd guess it probably has the 54mm 8-blade compressor wheel (if not 56mm).

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Mounted my AC Delco Alternator today, I went w/ the AC because I needed the Tach signal and I had a rebuilt alternator on the shelf. I also got the front drive shaft from the Trans donor truck as well as the floor cover plate and the reverse light harness pigtail. Removed the turbo and the exhaust manafold and begain to size up the header and what needs to happen before I start to build it such as placing the cab back onto the frame and inner fender well with the A/C box in place.

Made a trip into the woods to get a load of firewood today as well, had to use Paps truck though, can't wait to get the firewood monster truck done so I can haul my own firewood. Check out the pic below and you can understand what I do with the truck and why I call it a monster truck, to haul the monster loads of course.

$ Todate

Front shaft
Cover plate 40.00
Harness Pig tail
Gen 1 Dodge motor mounts 50.00
AC Delco Alternator Free

Total to this point 5,225.00
New Grand Total 5,315.00

Attachments

·
Registered
454 Posts
geez mongo, you certainly don't girl around with the loads of firewood ! how do you reckon the 4bt will go with that sort of loads ? i suppose low range has to be good for something.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I have based the entire swap on the Green Chevrolet in the picture, I grew up driving that truck, I have overloaded that truck so many times I can't remember. The green dump has a small block 350 bone stock and the T-19 Borg-Warner trans. I figure the 4BT I am building will have nearly the same hp as the small block but the 4BT will have more torque and that torque will be at low RPM range. The green dump hauled that load of wood about 10 miles over back country roads up and down some serious hills, It had enough power to handle it, I never had to use low but to start out, and to hold it back on one hill, the going was slow but I don't like racing with such a large load. I had a 460 in my Ford for 5 years and loved the power but hated that the worst vehicle on fuel milage required the best fuel. I have thought long and hard about weather or not the 4BT will handle what I want to do but I have come to this conclusion if the 4BT in fact does not have enough power I am only a couple of steps away from a 12v 6BT, motor mounts, exhaust, intake piping, and the 4BT could go into Henery, another Ford in my fleet see my introduction to find out about Henery. So that is how I have aproached such a small motor to do such a big job.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mounted my AC Delco Alternator today, I went w/ the AC because I needed the Tach signal and I had a rebuilt alternator on the shelf. I also got the front drive shaft from the Trans donor truck as well as the floor cover plate and the reverse light harness pigtail. Removed the turbo and the exhaust manafold and begain to size up the header and what needs to happen before I start to build it such as placing the cab back onto the frame and inner fender well with the A/C box in place.

Made a trip into the woods to get a load of firewood today as well, had to use Paps truck though, can't wait to get the firewood monster truck done so I can haul my own firewood. Check out the pic below and you can understand what I do with the truck and why I call it a monster truck, to haul the monster loads of course.

$ Todate

Front shaft
Cover plate 40.00
Harness Pig tail
Gen 1 Dodge motor mounts 50.00
AC Delco Alternator Free

Total to this point 5,225.00
New Grand Total 5,315.00
AC Delco baby! ;) Where can I get one of those free alternators? Did you get a mail in rebate or something?

Keep up the good work! I can't wait to see the finished product! :smokin:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanx Bow Tie, I am sorry though, that your alligance lies with the dark side. I come from a house filled with those who partake of the dark rhelm, however I some how have been delivered into the light and have seen the error in there ways (My brothers and father) lets only hope that my insatious appitite for the Ford brand overcomes the Dark fource that has my family in its grasp so that they too may someday be delivered into the light which is FoMoCo. My brothers are two of my biggest critics, I only grow stronger from there constant critique. I do understand why they question some of my decisions though, I beleive its only because they wish the best for me. Thanks for the post and I too can not wait until the firewood monster is done.

-Jr Mechanic
As my oldest brother has dubbed me

Attachments

1 - 20 of 119 Posts