Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to compile a list of parts needed to the swaparoo on an fj62 landcruiser. At this point I am still undecided on what tranny to use. I've searched, trust me, but haven't found any definitive info. Here are my thoughts.

-MUST be automatic
-MUST have overdrive for highway driving
-most use 700r4, but i've found a lot of "700r4 won't hold up" types of comments
-I'm pretty sure i'm going to throw a marlin crawler box in between the tranny and stock split-case, so that should take care of any adapter

I am definitly leaning towards a built 700r4 w/ a custom converter, but before I make an truly uneducated guess on what trans to use, I thought I'd get some expert advice on the subject.

Regards
Bob

·
Registered
500 Posts
A stock 700R4 should hold up to a 4BT built to diesel specs, however if going the 700R4 route I'd highly recommend an upgraded pump (13 vane) so you get more fluid flow at the lower RPMs. Also go with a latermodel 30spline input shaft. (1987/1988 up). You'll also need either a custom converter or make modifications to the adapter ring so it will bolt up. A IMO it's more than enough transmission for a mild to stock 4BT. I'd go with a 4L80E or other transmission if you plan to bomb out your engine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A stock 700R4 should hold up to a 4BT built to diesel specs, however if going the 700R4 route I'd highly recommend an upgraded pump (13 vane) so you get more fluid flow at the lower RPMs. Also go with a latermodel 30spline input shaft. (1987/1988 up). You'll also need either a custom converter or make modifications to the adapter ring so it will bolt up. A IMO it's more than enough transmission for a mild to stock 4BT. I'd go with a 4L80E or other transmission if you plan to bomb out your engine.
Thanks for the input! I'm not planning on going crazy with the motor, I'm mainly looking for a good balance between mileage and driveability (cascade mountain passes at 70mph).

Is there a manufacturer to source a diesel-built 700r4 like the one you are speaking about? I've seen different ways of adapting the 700r4 converter to the 4bt. Can this converter be sourced, or must it be fabricated?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there a website or phone number to source that converter? What's the stall?

·
Registered
443 Posts
a440F?

I know of a guy running a 6bt in front of the stock tranny in his '62 with no problems. He has access to a diesel machine shop but used the stock dodge 6bt, with out an intercooler.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know of a guy running a 6bt in front of the stock tranny in his '62 with no problems. He has access to a diesel machine shop but used the stock dodge 6bt, with out an intercooler.
I've considered this myself, but being an engine swap noob I am not familiar with bolting a cummins to a Toyota trans. I've posed the questions to other on ih8mud, but haven't received any strait answers.

-Where would I source an adapter?
-What converter?
-No valve body mods?

I'd be willing to give it a shot, I just need to know what needs to be done before I start the project to minimize downtime. I can't have the rig out of commission for 6 months.

Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts