Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Working on plumbing my 6BT and there is a hose I am not sure where it goes(the engine was sawed out of the doner truck). There is a fitting mid-block located under the injection pump that I am not sure were it goes. I see the oil for the IP supply, and it is rearward from that. I can not find anything it looks to have gone to, but I am not sure. The engine is from an F700 Ford if that helps. I am thinking it just needs plugging, but I dont want to miss something, which would be easy as I am still "getting to know" the 6BT.

Also there are two water ports on the top of the thermostat housing area and one coming from below at the lower radiator hose mount. Which ones should I use for heater hoses. I have to think the top ones are in the same water jacket, so one top and the bottom one make sense. I also need to know if there are any tricks to removing these top hose fittings. They are screwed into the block but are too light weight of tube to get enough torque to remove them. I could twist them off and try a big easy out, but that is kindof a nasty way to go about it if there is something easier.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Anytime you have a pipe plug or a fitting that won't come loose ,Heat it up and use a wax marker,pin,candle. the wax will go into the treads and will come right out.

The fitting take a pics hard to tell most of the mid duty trucks have extra lines and fitting going every where.The fitting or line could be the P/S / vac oil line.

The heater hoses one at the head and one lower at the neck depends on what set up have .This way will have the best heat.

CrewCab59

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hey guys,

Working on plumbing my 6BT and there is a hose I am not sure where it goes(the engine was sawed out of the doner truck). There is a fitting mid-block located under the injection pump that I am not sure were it goes. I see the oil for the IP supply, and it is rearward from that. I can not find anything it looks to have gone to, but I am not sure. The engine is from an F700 Ford if that helps. I am thinking it just needs plugging, but I dont want to miss something, which would be easy as I am still "getting to know" the 6BT.

Thanks,

Chris
If its like mine and is 1/8" pipe thread it should be where the oil pressure sending unit go's.

·
Registered
696 Posts
If it is 1/8 npt fitting it is has been said probably the oil pressure port. If it has a hose as you say it may have been the oil filler pipe that will have been chopped on removal. My 6BT came from a truck and had an oil filler pipe here. If it is this then you just need a core plug to seal as I did. A pic would be better as you would get a definite answer then.

Gaza

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. I will get a pic up tomorrow if at all possible.

Chris

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
There is an oil feed line in that area for a vacuum pump oil feed. It could have fed anything requiring oil mounted in the accessory drive location .

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am thinking that the accessory feed is correct, but I am wondering where the return was. I did not find any open returns. Here is a picture. It has a wrench against it in the lower right corner of the pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The oil return for the compressor/powersteering and or vacuum is returned through the front gearcase.

Gaza
This engine has some kind of a pump on the lower case position and had power steering up on top. It would stand to reason this could have fed the pump on the timing case. I am not even sure what the pump is; I am replacing with a dodge steering pump.

Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts