Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Motor Mount Help

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Carl Donica 
#1 ·
I am in the stage of motor mounts this week I want to use a front motor mount but my dad wants to use the rear four accesory holes because he thinks there will be a lot of stress where the transmission bolts to diesel. I am running the zf 5 speed that has the aluminum bellhousing to the steel small block pattern on the 4bt. He has a good argument but I dont know because a lot of you guys are using the front mounts any input would be apreciated. There will be a beefie transmission mount as well as a np 205 mount

#2 ·
Hello, I hope your build-up goes well. I too was in the "week" of building my motor mounts (except it took about a month). I offer this small piece of advice. the four holes on the side of the engine are too far back and put the entire weight of the engine on the frame rails the front. In addition, the front the engine would be cantilevered, causing what I believe most of us see as too much stress on the frame. The LCD (least common denominator) is to make mounts that are more centered between the front 3 mounting holes and middle 4 that you mentioned.

I recommend you visit the following threads...
http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26&highlight=show+off
http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?p=13563#post13563

#3 ·
I too was burdened by this problem at the onset of my project. I finally decided to go with the front mounts because the step van also used the front mounts with the tranny mount at the rear of the tranny, (thm 475, all alum also). This was done by Cummins or probably by a contractor as per Cummins spec., so should work fine. I am running big block pattern ZF with 1356 t-case and have had no problems in almost 18 months. You are probably running small block adapter but on the big block adapter I drilled an additional hole in the adapter to align with bottom starter hole in the tranny bellhousing. Just discovered that I could do this about 6 months ago. Just some xtra piece of mind, maybe the sb adapter will allow this also. I dont think its necessary or Cummins would have put the hole there to start with.
Good Luck,
Carl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.