Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Im gathering up all of the peripherals for my 4bt swap and want to get opinions on which style motor mounts to use. Basically looking at some liquid mounts or a stock type mount from a dodge truck but if there's a better option please let me know.

Here's what I'd like to know:

What have you guys USED that have done a good job reducing vibrations in your truck?

and any failures ACTUALLY experienced that I should be aware of?

I have learned a ton from this site and appreciate all the support from the few that I've communicated with so thank you! Please lets keep this to personal experience and try not to give an opinion based on someone elses post as it makes it really difficult for guys like me to sit through the hours of reading just to get to the good stuff.

Thanks, Jeff :beer:

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ani-2698

1 year and roughly 10k miles on these. No issues. Much improved over rubber isolators. There are Lord mounts that cost quite a bit more that some members have used. Gonna be hard to get a comparison as I doubt anybody has used both.

Dave

This is what I took out.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have the ones Lonno has from Summit. They were 2 bucks cheaper at Rock Auto. Very smooth in the cab. They are very similar to the lords, just a tad smaller and a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Hey Dave, what is the height of your mounts? (did not have the specs in the link). I would like to sit my engine up alittle higher. Saw your truck in the Diesel swaps mag, nice write up! Jeff

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have the same ones as Lonno. I used 4 2 for engine and 2 for trans spaced the same distance away from frame. Very little vibration at idle. The squish pretty good so when you do it make sure you have room for it to settle about 1/2-3/4inch I think I payed $13

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Hey Dave, what is the height of your mounts? (did not have the specs in the link). I would like to sit my engine up alittle higher. Saw your truck in the Diesel swaps mag, nice write up! Jeff
They compress to about 3"'s. A little more on the passenger side as its got the weight of the manifold, the twins, and the starter on that side.

Dave

·
Registered
825 Posts
Thanks Dave, my motor mounts are crap and that will raise my engine from the pumpkin and give me what I need. Jeff

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow guys thanks for all the great info. So just so I get this right those summit motor mounts are made by anchor industries and are only $16? and when i put them in i can expect them to shrink by three inches?

If thats the case i may just make the mounts and have the motor sit on them for a while to settle them in before even trying to make mounts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
No, bsracing said they will settle by 1/2"-3/4" and Lonno said his ended up being about 3" tall overall after settling.
My Jeep is a trail only rig, on the right side I used the 1st gen Dodge 6bt rubber mounts, I believe I paid $9 for a pair at O'Reilly's but only used one. On the left side I used a 03 Dodge Cummins isolator and engine side cast iron mount. The 03 Dodge isolator is softer than the 1st gen. My mounts have withstood a lot of off road abuse and have not torn. But if it were a daily driver I would want something that absorbed more vibration than the 1st gen isolator.
If you click on my build thread link in my sig and go to page 6 you will see pics of the mounts etc.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Am I over thinking this?? What would 2 of the 2698 Anchor Mounts from Summit on a single plate do? One in front of the other .......2 mounts on each side of the engine? Might lead to more vibration or less??? Has anyone done this? I searched on the show your mounts sticky but did not see anything.

Rick

·
Registered
718 Posts
yeah, there is a company that sells plates to use 2 per side. I think destroked has them referenced on their website. I used the cheap $2 mounts for a dodge. Got em on amazon. They work ok I suppose. I did have the engine balanced though. Still vibrates pretty good when i am stopped with my foot on the brake. In park, neutral, or going down the road, almost no vibrations. Just lots o noise!

·
Registered
411 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gents,

Thanks for all the good info I appreciate everyone's input. I think I'll go with the summit versions and get an extra to throw in the parts box!

Jeff

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Everybody. This thread is a little old but wanted to update on how the mounts worked for me. I used these mounts ( http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ani-2698 ) but I got them from rockauto.com. I ended up using them for the engine and transmission and they work great. The vibration is minimal at idle and otherwise not at all at any other RPM. The Bronco does rattle differently than the stock motor but not any worse. Also, My 4x4 shifter shakes much less than before and that has always rattled so overall Im very satisfied. Needless to say I would recommend these and for the price its hard to beat!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts