Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
In a 6BT, are the new "donut" style motor mounts better at damping vibrations than the old Gen-1 mounts?
Thanks,
Mikel

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
They are mounted different and that helps and they have more rubber as well.

In most conversions they are hard to use because how wide they are and even when you flip flop them they still have to be cut on.In smaller conversions ,I don't see them working .Now if you only used the end with the rubber and made the rest it would work fine.

CrewCab59

·
Registered
696 Posts
Hello,
In a 6BT, are the new "donut" style motor mounts better at damping vibrations than the old Gen-1 mounts?
Thanks,
Mikel
I have just put a commercial 6BT into a Rover and needed engine mounts. I searched the www for info and found virtually none. I did read somewhere that the dodge gen 1's did not hold motor well enough and allowed frame to crack ( I do not know if this was because of mounts or weak frame or if it was just rumours ) I do know that Dodge only used them for 4 years and totally changed the design on gen 2's, I believe they kept the same design in the gen 3's also. The 2nd gen mounts appear to me to be much more substantial than the gen 1's and probably more expensive for Dodge aswell. From this I decided to go with 2nd gens for my 6BT. Having said that if I was swapping a 6BT into a chevy I would probably have got a set of mounts from CrewCab59 as these allow you to swap easily the 6bt in on the chevy frame. If you have to fab the mounts for the frame then I would go with the 2nd gen mounts. You pays yer money and takes yer chances.

Gaza

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,656 Posts
Hello,
Thanks,
Mikel
I feel no difference in vibration between the two styles. I drive a 92 Dodge CTD (bought new) and my wife drives a 94 Dodge CTD. I find the early ones easier to use in a custom installation for the 4B's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The second gen mounts have worked the best for us. The first swap we ever did we used the first gen mounts. Then on the second one we used 2nd gen mounts. And with all the others, we never went back, it just seems too easy with the second gen mounts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts