Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1985 Yota Motorhome 21'. Its 2wd and sits pretty low. I don't think there is room in the engine bay for this swap. I found many 4x4 implants done with the old yota's but very few 2wd implants.

Do you think it possible without lifting the bugger?

sunrader.com

·
Registered
351 Posts
Anything is possible with time and money. Just take the measurments of the dimensions of a 4BT and grab a tape measure and take the time to check available room out.

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
Didn't get a a good close up look, but a few months ago out west we passed and were passed by a Toyota RV off and on for about a day, I was really surprised how well it kept up on the hills and how fast it could go.
Looked like one of the old RV setups with the dual rear wheels from the 70's or 80's, but had a much later model Tacoma cab and I presume entire drivetrain possibly frame. Not a diesel, but better than the old Toyota I bet.

Grigg

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea it would be really nice to be able to truck along and I'm sure a 4bt would definitely help. I have an 85 with 104,000 miles on it. Its a Sunrader which is probably the best model home that they put on the toyota chassis. Its 21' and has 1 ton rear axles. It has the 22re with an aftermarket header and throaty exhaust. Its the fastest of the 7 toy rv's I've owned hands down, but still crawls up steep hills. I don't really care about the speed... but it would be nice to keep up with traffic and maybe pull some kind of trailer around. A 4bt should work for that.

You are right, time and money. I have neither, but I have the tools and space! Landed a 4bt as well with a allison 545 bellhousing which I think could be overkill and oversized for a little 21' motorhome.

I should put it in something... and our Honda Minivan is out of the question

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Because he already said he has a 4bt.
I remember back in the day swapping a Toyota 1 ton camper dually axle into an S10. The dual rims were welded together and came off as one assembly. But the S10 looked really cool as I remember.

·
Registered
233 Posts
my friend had on and he put a 305/700r in his and loved kepped up with a lott of other a class towing a diesel jetta and always found parts easily when need be

For a diesel how a bout a izusu?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think you are going to be in for some major sheet metal work to fit an Allison transmission under a Toyota body. How would the front suspension components handle the weight of the 4bt? Not saying it can't be done but if it were mine I think I would be looking for a little bit smaller engine/trans combo. If you do it though make sure you post plenty of pictures.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would say the chevy 305\350\4.3 would be your best bet. Or 2l-T with some mods though they aren't very powerful. 1KZ-T from over seas make good power 145HP-251Ftlbs but are expensive. Or a 5vz 3.4 toyota should fit and you can use all toyota parts. Buick V6's will work as well. 302 fords will work with your factory gearing and make good power. Just trying to offer sugestions hope these help. If your not afraid of wireing then Id go for a OM642 Sprinter engine.

·
3,907 Posts
If you really want the 4BT you can lean it over some, making it a "slant 4".

Not ideal as you would have to fab an oil pan, and pump pickup, but it can get the overall height down some.

A bell housing adapter done similar to the clocking rings I see for T cases would be needed as well.

Whatever you do make sure the turbo oil drains downhill all the way back to the pan.

Good luck.

For an Isuzu the 4BD*T series would be neat, but almost as difficult to package as the 4BT.

IIRC there was a Diesel imported to the US in the Troopers that is smaller, if you can find one the PO hasn't destroyed from neglect.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
For an Isuzu the 4BD*T series would be neat, but almost as difficult to package as the 4BT.

IIRC there was a Diesel imported to the US in the Troopers that is smaller, if you can find one the PO hasn't destroyed from neglect.
the 4jb1t and the 4jg1t were offered in the troopers... the 4jb1t has a simillar size to a 2.8L 4cyl diesel that toyota had used in overseas markets for the hilux... would be easy to fit it into the engine bay...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
wow, great responses.... The 4bt WILL not fit without major sheetmetal work. I'm going to axe that Idea.. but maybe I'll put it in this.... this weighs 11,000lbs though. I don't know if the 4bt could make it go enough up hills..... but maybe a little faster than the International 270 it has now!

wow, cant post pictures yet.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts