Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want the quietest i can make my truck. i plan on running a frito muffler, and my questions are:

is there a quieter muffler? i need 3"

what does a resonator do?

would i benefit from a resonation in conjunction with the muffler?

·
Registered
808 Posts
I use NAPA 1st Gen Dodge CTD on my Carryall and M37. I have no others to compare quietness, but I am pleased with the sound being low. I dont use a resonator as I exit the muffler with a turn out and dump in front of the right rear wheel. These are 3.0" in/out ports.

Paul

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I'm sure a non-straight through muffler would be the quietest but when you do that you are just ruining the turbine flow.

I run a 3" dynomax race bullet and I think most of the noise coming from the truck is the clatter from the engine!
I have a Donaldson Truck muffler and I feel that most of the noise is coming from the engine as well. Mine's supposed to quiet it down 12-15dB i think. If you have room, Donaldson has ones that will quiet it down even more.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I run a 'Frito' muffler and to me it isn't all that quiet! About a draw between 'other' engine noise and the muffler. Mine exits in front of right rear wheel, 3" exhaust, can is about 6" X 27". With the mountains up here I have a lot of exhaust noise reflected off of hillsides, so it seemed much quieter on the flats.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had planed on using a Flowmaster series 44 with 3in inlet and two 2 1/4 outlets with tail pipes running to the back of the truck at the bumper. Is this a good idea or should I come up with something else?

·
Registered
808 Posts
I had planed on using a Flowmaster series 44 with 3in inlet and two 2 1/4 outlets with tail pipes running to the back of the truck at the bumper. Is this a good idea or should I come up with something else?
I dont know anything about the Flowmasters. But I did nto run all the way to the rear bumper as this would require custom pipe bending to get over the axle. I am remote and have no place to do the bending so I exited the muffler on a angle and dump the ehaust out the right side before the rear tire.

Paul

·
Registered
94 Posts
The reason I would like to do this is because of the look I am going for. My 4bt swap is a little different than most on this website. I am doing a restoration on a 64 IHC SNB (except for the 4bt swap). I am useing the stock wheels and hubcaps and even building some small side racks for the bed. I guess you might call it the old man look. Or a better description might be a 4bt sleeper.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Flowmasters don't flow that well, and there is the issue that the Flowmaster is designed for an NA engine's exhaust pulses not the smoothed out turbodiesel exhaust. I've also noticed that they tend to rust out here in road-salt-free TX. Something else woul be better.

CD

·
Registered
115 Posts
Not Usefull Information

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
The reason I would like to do this is because of the look I am going for. My 4bt swap is a little different than most on this website. I am doing a restoration on a 64 IHC SNB (except for the 4bt swap). I am useing the stock wheels and hubcaps and even building some small side racks for the bed. I guess you might call it the old man look. Or a better description might be a 4bt sleeper.
Until you start it that is. Oh how I understand the sleeper :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
Not Usefull Information

·
Registered
25 Posts
Lee,
Here are some Donaldson dealers close to you. I have run them and had good luck. Can't comment on the sound, (not that loud to me) but I have used nothing else to compare to. Alittle more expensive than some, but flow more CFM than most.
Also, no luck on the 3rd seat here local. Am headed to Natchez, and will talk to some people I know there.
Virgil

POLAR SERVICE CENTERS
3100 PHILLIPS WY STE G
PORT ALLEN, LA 70767
(225) 749-7400

TRUCKPRO
11710 AIRLINE HWY
BATON ROUGE, LA 70817-4401
(225) 296-0332

·
Registered
225 Posts
My truck has no muffler and sounds CHILLINGLY silent. Same as a stock truck with stock exhaust.

TOTAL sleeper.[/QUOTE]

HEHE, yeah Charles with the exception of that most excellent whistle that you have going on.:D
Carl

·
Registered
180 Posts
I installed a Flowmaster knock-off on mine, 3" inlet/outlet and supposed to be a two chamber. With 3" pipe running all the way out the back, I could reach 25lbs. max boost, but had that annoying ricer-racer fart-rocket sound. :puke:
When I put on the muffler I only lost one pound of boost and it is a bunch quieter. No EGT gauge yet so I do not know what impact it had there, but I haven't melted anything! :eek:

·
Registered
335 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
I'm going with the big welded steel "can" from my 93 Dodge donor. It sounds good at the tail pipe with the 6BT so I'll give it a shot with the 4BT. And it is FREE!!

It is all welded construction.....dunno if it is factory or not, but it is BIG.
Looks like it will flow well. 3" in and out.
I plan on dual 3" stacks behind the cab and don't need any 4 cyl "ricer" sound coming out that close to my head.

If I need a resonator, I have several from the dodge hemi pick-ups. They are stainless steel and straight through, and also 3" in and out. Those are also FREE from the pile behind my local muffler shop (removed from trucks for duals).

Another point...go check the pile behind your local muffler shop, you might score a good piece for FREE!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts