Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Wagoneer has been down for a couple weeks waiting on me to have some time to give it a bit of love and a rebuilt driveshaft.
The day prior to parking it I ran out of fuel. (Tank doesn’t have a sender, installing a new tank soon to remedy this)

got the drive shaft in last night and took it for a spin and I found it has a nice “miss” now.
While it was parked I still started it and let it idle to keep batteries up etc and noticed it hazing at idle more then normal but I didn’t think much about it.
Could I have a stuck injector? Any tricks?

As soon as I get my new axles in I was going to start turning it up, now thinking new injectors may be in order possibly.
Taking it home tonight, going to see how it feels at speed.
This is the first diesel I have ran out of fuel, usually really good about keeping them fed!
Ken

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmmmm, disregard I guess. Let it idle for about 45 minutes at the shop while organizing and cleaning up stuff and drove it home, running great! No miss etc.

next is to get the tank in. I will be back to posting on my normal thread

·
Registered
10,555 Posts
You may have had some air in a line. Never a bad idea to pull injectors and have them pop tested. That usually doesn't cost a lot and can spot an issue before it becomes a bigger problem. When the pop pressure is correct and evenly matched across the set the engine runs much smoother. Larger injectors depends on your power goal.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Motor is a 190hp p-pump. Was going to do all the cheap mods once I get the new axles and transmission installed and go from there.

300 is more then enough for me. It’s a daily driver and need to keep it reliable, not breaking stuff all the time like I am currently

Ken

·
Registered
10,555 Posts
Well, 300 HP isn't very hard to achieve on a 6bt. A few mods to the P7100 won't cost a fortune and will give it more power. A 3000 RPM governor, #10 torque plate, and adjust timing to roughly 16 deg are the basics. That P7100 that came on the 190 HP is not quite the fire breathing dragon that came in the 215 HP Dodge, but it can be improved. Stock injectors on that engine probably aren't any larger than the 160 HP Dodge. Wouldn't think anything bigger than 5x.012 would be needed. That's what the 370 HP marine engine used. A 4bt with those can do 300 HP. 5x.010 might be plenty. That was the stock size in a P pump 4bt. Not sure if those were ever in a 6bt road engine unless it was the 230 HP model. 300 HP can be done with a single turbo but you might look at a possible upgrade there. The stock HX35W is a good unit. Possible upgrades might be the HE351cw which came on the Dodge 5.9 or another might be the HE351W which is a bit different. The cw model has an HX40 compressor with a 9cm turbine housing. Boost comes on very quick. The plain HE351W has a 12cm turbine housing. That one might be a little less expensive to adapt. The cw model requires a 4" exhaust and the compressor outlet is made into the housing and a bit of odd size. It also has an electronic boost control plug that you need an aftermarket plug to block off so you can make it a manual turbo. Beware, there are tons of clone models of the cw on the market now. If it's dirt cheap and doesn't have the name HOLSET on it I'd be cautious. The plain HE351W is going to be a bit harder to find but is out there and pretty cheap. Those came on the ISDe 6.7 engine and are probably made in China but are genuine Holset. Here's one listing for that one on ebay for $649. You may find them even cheaper. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-Holset-HE351W-Turbocharger-Truck-Cummins-ISDE6-Engine-4043980-Turbo/183914245182?epid=1964725919&hash=item2ad224ac3e:g:Nv0AAOSwEWldXZQ7

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The mods you mentioned , gov, #10, and timing are on the list.
turbo is a wastegated Wh1c, this motor was from a 95or96 f650 I believe.

I am hoping to keep the current turbo and just see where I get. The current tuneworks fine for me. I keep breaking u-joints.
Engine mods will come on after I finish upgrading the drivetrain.
Currently 1st gen 727hooked to the stock Jeep np229, and Dana44s front and rear.

I have collected a rebuilt 47rh, everything from the t-case down from a 2005 f250- np273, dana60/sterling, hydroboost setup, Driveshafts to modify, and the radius arm/ coil setup.
Once the new drivetrain is installed I will have no problem turning up the pump without fear of breaking everything.

·
Registered
10,555 Posts
Nothing wrong with the WH1C turbo. It is essentially the same as an H'X35W. Not really sure how far one can be pushed before it runs out of steam. Sounds like you're getting your other drive train parts in good order. Keep in mind that as that HP rises so does the torque. 300 HP can have torque in the 700 lb ft range. The 230 HP 6bt which was the big brother to what you have had 605 lb ft.

·
Selling 4bt & 6bt parts to all of N.America
318 Posts
Stock WH1C is capable of 300hp max & will get toasty quick. Make sure you install a boost elbow to restrict waste gate opening to soon & keep your eye on the egt’s and you will be fine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The torque is exactly why I don’t want to go much further then basics. I think the new drivetrain will hold up fine, I would like to run 37s but probably limit it to 35s, trying to keep it a reasonable height. I will be trimming the fenders, but don’t want to cut up into the wood grain trim. Also will be a stretching front(2”) and rear(4”) to help with driveshaft angles. Lots of work ahead of me

ken

1 - 9 of 9 Posts