Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
iI'M NOT sure what to say my 4BT does. But best I'll say I got it running & & I've got it home .. 1st time I drove it .. I drove it about 30 minutes & All of a sudden it starts to Rolling idle or Surge as it idles .
I live in the country & all my 4BT does is idle around on the farm or up & down the county road from one of my farms to another lease place .. All are with in about a 2 mile radius.
SO Next time I drove it .. It idled along maybe at 1200 rpms . But 2 or 4 times in a 45 minute period It began to roll it's idle. Some times it's sound almost like it has a big cam in it.
... 3rd time I cranked it up & I left it idling in the shop for maybe 10 minutes .
IT WAS SURGING & I REALLY thought i'd die . But I raise the idle . AS I have a hand throttle on it .
....... WHICH I REALLY LOVE ON MY FARM PASTURES & WHILE Hunting in a ranch in New Mexico .
New Mexico is about 25000ac. & That hand throttle is the only way to go. We can Just slightly over idle set the hand throttle & cruise at maybe 12 or 1400 rpms .. But I PREFER 3 GEAR IN THE TRANS But in LOW Range in the trans fer case.
... It can handle the terrain much better in low range .. & it seems much better control .
...... SO I'M THINKING OF PUTTING ABOUT A SMALL BOTTLE OF 2 CYCLE oil in my fuel tank .. It's just got an 11 gallon tank in my 73 Bronco .
.... so anyone have a thought as to why my Bronco 4BT goes into a bad Idle at times & correct its self in 2 minutes & What do I need to do to fix it.
.................. thanks in advance . I may not be back until Monday night.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I Have an 88' 4bt with a VE pump that ran perfect after my swapping into my 01 TJ then started leaking fuel. I resealed the pump myself. Reinstalled and engine would fire up but then would Surge and Hunt so i thought it was the governor and throttle shaft off 1 tooth but that was not it. Took it apart and found the spill port on the governor shaft that dumps fuel back to case had stopped up with rust/sediment. Cleaned port and refired engine Now running perfect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts