Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Converting my 47RH to 47RE by drilling case at solenoid connector port then using an upgraded 47RE valve body and stand alone controller that uses VSS.
Here are images of some of the goodies OEM next to custom Billet etc.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
More goodies:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Would it be possible to do the inverse of this?
A late case can be converted by using a late to early case bushing designed to reduce the electrical connector port for single or dual solenoid only valve bodies. fitzall part # T22916S
Hopefully this answers your question.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Oh that awesome! I can put a hydraulic 46RH valve body in my 46RE and run with no computer?
I suspect the case size matters and I've only worked on 47RH/RE & 48RE large case units so perhaps someone else can chime in on your question. That maybe like beating a dead horse because I have not gotten much info or answers to questions I've posted on this series transmission on this site.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have a spare 46rh but there are a literal mountain of 46re transmissions out there. It’d be nice to be able to convert the to be RHs.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a spare 46rh but there are a literal mountain of 46re transmissions out there. It’d be nice to be able to convert the to be RHs.
When I get some spare time I will see what parts interchange.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You would be looking at changing out your harness ecm etc to run a 46RH......

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m looking at carb’ing the Magnum 5.2
[/QUOTE

So you want to take an ecm engine & transmission controlled vehicle convert it to carb fueled and the 46re to a 46RH, sorry I can't help you with that.

I suggest; you check out how the EPA is going after individuals across the country for disabling emission devices on their vehicles "this is the only advice I can give you."

·
Registered
237 Posts
Correct. I’m gonna remove the computer and all its single points of failure with it.

This could also simply a mechanical diesel down the road.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This post is response to your transmission question relating to inverse conversion and not intended to assist or aid and abet in any violation of law that may apply to road, off-road or racing vehicles.

The 46, 47 & 48RE are all in the same family of Dodge transmissions w/gas or diesel variants.
As mentioned in an earlier post there is a case bushing to allow conversion from early model RE case to early RH case to allow use of the RH series valve body.
Main parts needed are a rebuilt RH valve body “if you never rebuilt or modified a valve body I suggest a rebuilt Sonnax unit this is unless you have deep pockets for some exotic valve body,” a new RH LU/OD solenoid and external connector pigtail and harness to control OD/LU, a new RH O/D piston retainer “because it has ports for the hydro governor tubes to and from governor assembly” then you must source a rebuilt RH 2wd or RH 4x4 complete O/D extension housing because the RE extension housing will not work and keep in mind the RH/RE 4x4 O/D extension housings are different lengths too so there is driveshaft mods to consider.. The 2WD RH extension housing maybe the same length as the RE but output shafts maybe of different spline count in a 2WD OD extension as well as a 4x4 OD extension based upon what vehicle they were originally in.
The intermediate shaft is the same however; Sonnax has a bushing and cup kit that increases fluid pressure at the journals while allowing for complete cleaning of the shafts interior port before install.
Then you need a shop level rebuild manual and skill-set to completely rebuild the transmission in question.
The primary governor valve in the RH O/D is a known failure point and must be upgraded to a Sonnax unit.
The valve body comes in a few variations like boost valve tube or no boost valve tube, and then there is a selection of O/D shift plates, transfer plates, parts upgrades and skills to rebuild or modify the transmission yourself Sonnax has great information on the various valve bodies and how to identify them.
Then you have to decide what will you use to control O/D & L/U manual switches pressure valves or a CompuShift MINI OD/LU controller?
TV cable will need to be modified or an aftermarket unit installed.
In the end it becomes a matter of “how far you want to go on your build and how fast you want to spend too get there.”
Disclaimer: The sole responsibility for attempting anything cited herein this post is at your own risk including knowing what laws if any that may apply.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Using a GM 700r4 transmission mount on the Hybrid 47/48RE the mount will allow for a 5 deg. angle of engine/trans down front to rear.
The 4x4 OD housing has 10 ALTO OD direct clutches w/premium steels and 7 ALTO OD brake clutches w/premium steels, new bearings, new 6 pinion planet and new direct housing the new direct spring.
Images are of the 47RH 2wd OD housing w/GM poly mount next to the RE 4x4 OD housing being used on this build.

IMG_0041.JPG
IMG_0040.JPG
IMG_0038.JPG

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What is specifically incompatible with the RE OD housing? Something physically incompatible?
RE OD has "controller" controlled governor pressure system to shift 1, 2 &3 w/seperate OD/LU circuit the RH OD has just hydro with a centrific governor rotating on output shaft for shifting 1, 2 & 3 and uses controller OD/LU.

The RE 4x4 OD unit is short the RH 4x4 OD is longer and houses the hydro governor.
RE 2wd OD I think is the same length as the RH however; the RH has a hydro governor in it and I'm not sure if the RH governor can be installed into the RE tail housing.

·
Registered
237 Posts
So with needing to have the matching case pieces anyway, this widget is likely mostly useful for shops that may have to perform a rebuild on a unit with a broken case?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So with needing to have the matching case pieces anyway, this widget is likely mostly useful for shops that may have to perform a rebuild on a unit with a broken case?
Yep, using the later RE case for the earlier RH.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The following are images of the 47RE/RH intermediate shaft w/Sonnax pressure upgrade bushing and cup with smaller orifice than OEM.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts