Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
'68 Kaiser M715 Finally some progress!

Did some test fitting yesterday and made some very simple 3/8" angle iron mounts that I will need to gusset and clearance in some areas.

The truck has been treated to new floors and rockers, a rebuilt 6.2 Turbo diesel(which I haven't even started yet). Then I pushed it aside for a year+. I threw the 6.2 back on the engine stand this week in favor of my newly aquired 'Wonder' Bread engine.

Here is the chassis with the 6.2

Now with the Wonder engine. I Wonder if it has any compression. I Wonder how much blow-by it will have. I wonder if it will start at all.

·
Registered
454 Posts
my great grandmother had a saying. " you'll wonder and wonder until a crow builds a nest up your arse, then you'll wonder where it got the sticks from. " but she was a cranky old bag. why not hook up some power and fuel, and start the sucker up ? easy to pull and fix anything now. looks like it will be sweet rig.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I plan on starting the engine next week. I have to score some exhaust gaskets and a turbo flange gasket. Hopefully it will start.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I love to watch heavy diesel iron coming together. Keep up the good work and thanks for the pics!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We've got compression! 370 in all four. I'm happy with that, I guess it is acceptable. Now I just need my radiator, and I can test fire it!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wired it up. Put the fuel lines into a can of diesel, and she fired right up! 60# of oil pressure. Life is good for now. My radiator should be in tomorrow, so I can actually let it run for a while.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I finally got the drivetrain assembled, with the help of some friends. Now it is time to figure out how to reassemble the body.

Here is a shot of the exhaust manifold and HX35 exhaust housing. I had them ceramic coated.

And now for the 'drab.....

·
Registered
329 Posts
How big is that radiator? You may have under cooling issues

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not to worried about cooling issues. It might run cool, but I'll just shut the fans off.

Got my fenders on today.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Digging the paint scheme and it looks good on the engine too.

·
Registered
131 Posts
X2 on the paint scheme love the olive drab 'specially on the cummins. By the way, how much did the ceramic coating cost, and how long is it supposed to last?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Awesome

Awesome truck, your my new hero! The main reason I joined the forum, was to do research on putting a diesel in a M715, good job and please post your progress. I'm now completely sold on the 4bt.
Mississippi Ben

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
X2 on the paint scheme love the olive drab 'specially on the cummins. By the way, how much did the ceramic coating cost, and how long is it supposed to last?

SWEET

is the ceramic coating all around...the inside? it looks like the inside of the turbo housing is also coated

I can't disclose my price on the coating...I have a buddy in the business. He has been powder coating for years and just started ceramic. His work is top notch. To properly ceramic coat a manifold/header, it should be done inside also. I did tell him about this site, and to check into vendor status. His link is below.

www.boneheadperformance.com

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did some more test fitting today. After having the cab off for so long and cutting out the rockers and floors for some fresh metal....I have been praying that everything would bolt back together properly. So far it has been going well. Today I decided to bolt on the windshield frame so I could push the glass out of it and prep the frame for paint, then I got carried away and bolted on the trail doors that I cut into a while ago and threw the top bows and canvas into place.

·
Registered
39 Posts
stock frame mounting brackets

Did you have to take the stock brackets off the frame to fit the cummins in the engine bay?
I have a 4bt with the ford trans and was wondering if I will have the same tilt as yours???

Thanks,

Dave-

1 - 20 of 125 Posts