Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my 85 ford f 250 converted from the 6.9 diesel to cummins cng dedicated with the dodge nv4500 5 speed with ford transfer case. holset air compressor with two 3 gal air tanks

·
Registered
704 Posts
how does it run on CNG only?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Never knew it existed myself. Funny looking at it.... It looks like a 4bt (without the T) with spark plug coils on it. I am interested in your mileage and where you found the CNG kit.

Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There isn't a cng kit for it it's made by cummins Westport. The cylinder head is different and the compression ratio is 10.5:1. It looks exactly like the 6bt but instead of the injector pump it has a gas handler and a trottle body and spark plugs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its crossed my mind but I'd rather carry propane because how would you inject the gasoline on a gas system. Plus it's a lean burn system so I would have to remap the ECM or it would burn up the engine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Go to YouTube and search ford cummins cng dedicated. I have a sort video of it running and driving up the street. I would post a link but this forum won't let me post a link until I have ten posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
There isn't a cng kit for it it's made by cummins Westport. The cylinder head is different and the compression ratio is 10.5:1. It looks exactly like the 6bt but instead of the injector pump it has a gas handler and a trottle body and spark plugs.
Great video. If Cummins-Westport doesn't make the kit, who made it or did you mix and match things yourself? And how did you "remap" the ECM. Sorry for all the questions, just interested.

Thanks,

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Go to YouTube and search ford cummins cng dedicated. I have a sort video of it running and driving up the street. I would post a link but this forum won't let me post a link until I have ten posts
Post your links. You now magically have enough posts to post links & videos!

·
Registered
330 Posts
What happens if you inject the cng upstream in the intake manifold and use the diesel to ignite the cng. Depending on the cost differential of a gge, this could save money. Others have investigated Hydrogen over gas. Well, over most anything once you get it running. Crank on gas and switch to jp4 or whatever. The hydrogen at 4-7% flashes the rest of the fuel (ignition switches to TDC when the H is started).
Just imagining, I'm going down the road at hwy speed and start injecting the cng. Power goes up, so i get off the "gas", etc., basically switching fuels. nothing is this simple. Or is it?

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
For that type of setup propane would be the most cost effective route, same power and fuel increase cheaper parts and less pressure.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great video. If Cummins-Westport doesn't make the kit, who made it or did you mix and match things yourself? And how did you "remap" the ECM. Sorry for all the questions, just interested.

Thanks,
I'm not sure who makes the parts but the sensors all say ford on them. To remap the ECM I have to buy cummins data connector, that's next on the need to buy list.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Its crossed my mind but I'd rather carry propane because how would you inject the gasoline on a gas system. Plus it's a lean burn system so I would have to remap the ECM or it would burn up the engine.
gasoline would be injected the same way as in an aftermarket bi-fuel gasoline/CNG conversion, with a secondary injectors rail for the gasoline... anyway, propane seems to be easier, just bypassing the CNG pressure regulator...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts