Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have started i got the engine out and have the bellhousing of the tranny and am now working on the untilting issue with the bellhousing adapter. It is a pain. I think Cummins had to tilt them because gm rides the starter so low. That is where the major issues is at. I even talkted to tech support for lakewood race bellhousing to see if gm moves there stater location around on some of there small block V8.. No help there. If any of you guys have any ideas on this i would be glade to hear them. As it stands now i am going to make a new bellhousing adaptor and untilt it and then i will have to do some cutting and welding on the bellhousing to make it work.

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and it looks like they have a flywheel w/o the wave ring

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/4l80e.htm

Well i am using a manual gm sm465 tranny and the gm flywheel. I think on this set up they use a larger ring gear size to move the starter position out to avoid hitting the block of the engine. Not sure but that is my guess. By rotating the 8 deg out i have a problem with the starter hitting the block of the engine..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Why not go with the t-18 setup? Very similar to the SM465 in most respects.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What wrong with having the engine tilted? I put one in a chevy truck and had no problems with the engine being cocked a few degrees. Actually it might give you a little more clearance for you exhaust. Unless of course, you just dont like the way it looks. Just my $.02

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i already have the tranny and transfer case setup. Not really looking to put more money into the drive train setup. I thought about just tilting the engine and it just does not seem right. The tranny and tranfer case are married so a few deg there is a bunch. It seems i am making it really hard on myself to get it done but i think in the long run i will be much happier when i get it all worked out and it is in the way i want it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It should not affect you driveline, or it did not affect mine anyway. The mounts that were on my motor compensated for the tilt, when they were level, the engine was tilted and the tranny and transfer were level. I left the existing trans mount were it was so my drive shafts would be the same, and made my engine mounts where ever the motor ended up. I ended up with the front of the motor too high and with the tilt, it looks like i just threw the motor in there, but its just a work truck and i didnt care.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If it's the crooked valve covers that bother you, you might try making a "Dodge-style" plate that hides the valve covers and makes up for the 8 degrees.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Adapter

Well i finaly got it. I worked till 11:00 pm last night and finished it up this morning. The adapter came out pretty sweet everything is lining up and bolting up good. On future vershions i will clean up 2 areas. I left the starter in the original location and had to play with the starter hole geometry to keep all the bolt but she is sweet. The tilt is all gone and everything is working. I pulled the stater solinoid in to make sure my engagment was good and everything is fine...I will start putting the motor in this weekend. Hear are a few pic's of what it looks like. I am thinking about doing one and cutting the face down to see if i can't use the stock flywheel. Anybody have any input there?

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Looks very trick Amwise!:beer:

Just curious what you think the shop cost of something of that size and complexity would be? (I ask since there is a place selling one similar to it, and it ain't cheap!)

Best Regards,
George

·
Registered
30 Posts
That thing looks sweet. Nice work!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Adapter

Looks very trick Amwise!:beer:

Just curious what you think the shop cost of something of that size and complexity would be? (I ask since there is a place selling one similar to it, and it ain't cheap!)

Best Regards,
George
Yes it is all cnc machined. I really have not hammered out a price on what it would actully cost. The material alone was 400.00 bucks. I have a lot of time in doing all the drawing and geometry work. Im thinking they will be in the neighbor hood of about 850.00 to 950.00. There is alot of machine time in them. The good thing thought is it is sitting right and im happy. As my project comes along i will be doing other things for the 4BT. Hear is a pic of my 05 5.9 common rail. I made the valve cover fuse box all the caps..

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
engine is in

Well i got the engine in the trans adapter works great. I had to pull the engine in and out a few times to get some dims on things and to cut the stock crossmember out so i could lower the engine to level it all out looks good so far. I am stugling with the motor mounts a little right now. I am thinking of using stock dodge cumming motor mounts. Has anyone used these? Do they work ok? How are they for vibration? My other question is how may guys are using the front motor mount location and how many are using the back hole location? I would like to get some input as to how vibration issues are between the 2 locations. I am going to talk to Pioneer today they are a motor mount manufacture. If i find out anything from them i will pass it on. Thanks

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Engine mounts

Well i did not get any input so i am going to pioneer on my own. This is what im going to try.. http://www.tadiesels.com/mounts.html. Check out the link and also check out the engine link and go to a cummins 4bt. They have instalation drawings for a cummins 4bt as well as some wiring drawings. I do relize they are for a marine vershions but some of it does apply to the engine we are using.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
She is running

Well i have her up and running. I have been driving it for a couple of weeks now and it is great. My motor mounts are awsome i have very little shake at all. At idel my my rear views are stedy as a rock. I would highly suggest these mounts to anyone doing a convershion. I got her threw the emmishions test and am getting a new titel to show it is a diesel. The trans adapter could not be better everything is great...:)

·
Registered
267 Posts
can you post some pics of your motor mounts? i am trying to figure out how i am going to mount my 4bt to my 70 bronco.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes i will do that for sure. I need to get my camera back from my daughter she took photargrapy this year and latched on to it. I will try to get it from her this weekend and get some. They are a very easy mount to deal with and they handel the 4bt really well..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Looks good Amwise.
How does it run, as I am considering the same on my 85 1/2T 4x4. How does it handle with what I suspect is increased front end weight? What gears are you running?
Thanks
Virgil

1 - 20 of 26 Posts