Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i thought i would create this thread as much for myself as to get input from others. I believe i have most of my parts i need and im just gonna be slowly putting it together. And perhaps someday stretch the bronco. This bronco is a 1973 I purchase in Alaska while i was stationed at Ft. Wainwright and i have since moved down to Utah. Assuming i can figure out how to upload pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So i would add more pics but the link that says click here to look at the premium membership for unlimited uploads dose not work.

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
The membership isn't very expensive and allows unlimited photos. You can also use an external hosting site and paste photos. Looks like a good project. We all love photos. Any plans for engine mods or will it be basically the stock 105 HP? We have a number of the older Broncos on the forum and there should be all kinds of help there.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This engine Came from a Generator with 100hrs From SLC Airport or so i was told. I also have a Bosch VE pump being rebuilt at Gillett Diesel. They will also be adding a upgraded fuel pin with a 3200 spring. For now my engine has the H1C turbo "which i have no idea how much psi it puts out". But i plan on installing the HX30 and someday doing a compound setup with the HX35. I want to push this motor to about 250 and see it i find it acceptable.
But one thing i noticed is im not sure how to put a starter on this one. I have an adapter plate from Destroked and i have a big block ZF5. Maybe it put it on wrong but the engine block slightly overhangs into the starter hole on the adapter.

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
I was wondering which transmission you had. That big block ZF is OK but the one from the 7.3 diesel has better gear ratios for a 4bt. The cost to adapt it would have been the same. At least with the 460 ZF you can run the bigger flywheel and clutch and the clutch cylinder is external. Other than that it's the same as the small block version.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Compound turbos will be a tight squeeze in a EB. The fenders don't leave a whole lot of space for piping! Looking good though!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was under the impression the one i had was the one with closer gear ratios. And i do have a southbend Clutch kit for it cant quite remember where i got it. IMG_0804.jpg

·
Vendor
2,597 Posts
The close ratio zf42 has a 4.65 1st, zf47 4.14 1st. Looks like they missed their mark, send it back. I put the engine as far pass side as possible for diff/pan clearance then ran an inline 7.3 starter over the dodge offset type.

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
Yes, you have the wide ratio transmission that came in all the gas models, small block and big blocks. It also was used in the F Superduty diesels (F450). Gear ratios were 5.72, 2.94, 1.61, 1.00, .76 and 5.24R. The close ratio that came behind the 7.3 diesel in normal applications had gear ratios of 4.14, 2.37, 1.42, 1.00, .77, and 3.79 R. These were the ratios for the S5-42 models. Red, you need to check your numbers. The S5-47 close ratio was 5.08, 2.60, 1.53, 1.00, .77, and 4.66R. Wide ratio as the same as the S5-42.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is a 6L starter. Did you have the big block bell-housing? Everything else seems to line up perfect except that. Adaptor plate-starter clearance.jpg Adaptor plate-starter clearance2.jpg zf6.jpg

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
That instruction sheet you show is for the ZF6 speed not the ZF5. Is that a Destroked instruction sheet? Also, there is a difference in the ZF6 for the 7.3 and 6.0 engines. They have different flywheels. I've never heard any mention of block modification to mount the ZF S5-42. You don't use any flywheel spacer for it or longer bolts. Just the standard NV4500 flywheel and bolts but it must have the ZF pilot bearing. Also, the clutch needs to be a Ford type and not the Dodge. Not supposed to be any starter mods either. What did Destroked say?

·
Vendor
2,597 Posts
Red, you need to check your numbers. The S5-47 close ratio was 5.08, 2.60, 1.53, 1.00, .77, and 4.66R. Wide ratio as the same as the S5-42.
You are correct Charles. My information states 4.14 for the sf47 per http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html It made sense to me to have that ratio available behind a Ford 7.3. Evidently that information is incorrect.

·
Vendor
2,597 Posts
Freshly rebuilt with an upgraded fuel pin. But they said this pump was not happy when they tried to put a 3200 spring in it so it’s sitting at about 24 right now and I may be able to back the screw off and get some more out if it.
If thats not a road VE pump it probably isnt happy. A constant rpm governed VE pump and a VE road pump are two different animals. You may not be happy with 2400rpms. Screws will not help with rpms. You may want to watch youtube or even better get a Bosch VE book and study some. Rebuilding that pump may have been a waste of money. Since the zf is not a close ratio you probably wont care for the 3-4 shift with that rpm limitation.

1 - 20 of 184 Posts