Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

181 - 191 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
10,649 Posts
The hydroboost setup has been used on a lot of vehicles. On the Dodge, Ford and GM trucks there would be 2 return ports on the PS pump reservoir. There are even pumps for the remote reservoir that also have dual returns on the pump can. See photo. On the GM Astro vans that used the system, there was sometimes one return to the remote can and one to the can on the pump. On the Cummins delivery vans I believe both returns went to the remote reservoir. You just don't want the return fluid from the hydroboost unit traveling in the same line as the steering gear. Ford used hydroboost on some cars back in the 80's and quickly learned that was not a good thing. You don't want any back pressure on the line from the hydroboost. If your remote can only has one line, add a second port.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
Well I decided to use the safari bracket and just modify it to fit better. I now need to figure out how the clutch master cylinder is supposed to mount then I plan to mount the PS reservoir next to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
I have a concern and would like your input for anyone who knows. I am in the process of connecting and plumbing my steering and hydro-boost. In doing so I realized my fluid reservoir has a 3/16 npt outlet, The 2 inlets are the same. But the power steering pump is a 3/4 inlet for the feed line. Is my pump going to be starving for fluid? The whole system is sealed, there is no vent. Im not sure if there will be a vacuum or a positive pressure in the tank to make it feed fast enough...

·
Registered
10,649 Posts
Not really sure about that. Normally, the remote reservoir outlet is the same size as the pump reservoir inlet.Are you routing both returns back to the remote? Often see the steering gear return going to the pump can and the hydroboost to the remote. That's how it was on the Chevy Astro system and probably on the Cummins as well. Honestly don't think you want that small feed line to the pump. Hate to modify that pretty part but you don't want to starve the pump either. Here's a picture of a high end reservoir for hydroboost and you can clearly see the outlet port is much larger than the returns.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
This is what I have so far. I’m not really satisfied with my connections to the cooler but they are not -6 an like the rest of it. I was thinking if I got another bung or nut for the bottom of the Reservoir that would let me do 3/4 npt. And find someone to rig weld it.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I agree on size, does one need that much cooling? I have seen some factory coolers for that purpose with about 12" of tube looped and mounted in the airstream.

Ed

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
I agree on size, does one need that much cooling? I have seen some factory coolers for that purpose with about 12" of tube looped and mounted in the airstream.

Ed
It's more of "its what I have" I wanted something with a fan and I got it years ago. But at the same time I plan on running a ram assist at some point as well, and its gonna have 36" tires.

181 - 191 of 191 Posts